1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area of a solid of revolution

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Having recently learned the disk/shell/washer method for finding the volume of a solid of revolution, I'm trying to apply similar methods to derive the formula for the surface area of a cone (and hopefully after that, that of a sphere).
    The region that is revolved around to form the cone is that under f(x) = (r/h)x from 0 to h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone (both are constants).

2. Relevant equations
    Since V = πr^2h for a cylinder, the volume of the cone is ∫ π[f(x)]^2 dx from 0 to h. When I evaluate that, I get V = πr^2h/3,which is correct.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reasoned that since A = 2πrh for the curved surface of a cylinder, evaluating ∫ 2πf(x) dx from 0 to h should result in an expression for the area of the curved surface of the cone (everything but the base). But instead of getting πrs (s being √(r^2 + h^2), I think it's called the lateral height), I get πrh as the area of the curved surface.

Is my method wrong, or am I just integrating wrong?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi newageanubis! :smile:
    yes, but the surface of a cone is sloping, so it's a lot more than that, isn't it? :wink:

4. Jul 22, 2012 #3
    Oh. Now I feel dumb :(.

Can this "problem" be solved with single-variable integration, though?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Jul 22, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you'd be surprised how often people ask the same thing on this forum! :biggrin:
    not following you, this is a single ∫, isn't it? :confused:

6. Jul 22, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a curve is given by y= f(x), then a "differential of arc length" is given by [itex]ds= \sqrt{(dx)^2+ (dy)^2}= \sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2}dx[/itex].

And it is the arclength, rotated around an axis, that will give you a surface area.

In the case of the cone, say y= ax, rotated around the y- axis, the circumference of a small section would be [itex]2\pi x[/itex] so that it area would be [itex]2\pi x\sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2}dr[/itex]. Of course, in this example, dy/dx= a so that would be [itex]2\pi x\sqrt{1+ a^2}dx[/itex]. The area from the coordinate plane up to y= aR, so that x= R, would be [itex]\pi \int_0^R x\sqrt{1+ a^2}dx= \pi R^2\sqrt{1+ a^2}/2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook