Surface area of a solid of revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the disk/shell/washer method to find the volume of a solid of revolution and attempts to derive the formula for the surface area of a cone. The individual reasoning behind using single-variable integration and the use of a differential of arc length in finding the surface area is also mentioned.
newageanubis

Homework Statement

Having recently learned the disk/shell/washer method for finding the volume of a solid of revolution, I'm trying to apply similar methods to derive the formula for the surface area of a cone (and hopefully after that, that of a sphere).
The region that is revolved around to form the cone is that under f(x) = (r/h)x from 0 to h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone (both are constants).

Homework Equations

Since V = πr^2h for a cylinder, the volume of the cone is ∫ π[f(x)]^2 dx from 0 to h. When I evaluate that, I get V = πr^2h/3,which is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I reasoned that since A = 2πrh for the curved surface of a cylinder, evaluating ∫ 2πf(x) dx from 0 to h should result in an expression for the area of the curved surface of the cone (everything but the base). But instead of getting πrs (s being √(r^2 + h^2), I think it's called the lateral height), I get πrh as the area of the curved surface.

Is my method wrong, or am I just integrating wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi newageanubis! :smile:
newageanubis said:
I reasoned that since A = 2πrh for the curved surface of a cylinder …

yes, but the surface of a cone is sloping, so it's a lot more than that, isn't it? :wink:

Oh. Now I feel dumb :(.

Can this "problem" be solved with single-variable integration, though?

Last edited:
you'd be surprised how often people ask the same thing on this forum! :biggrin:
newageanubis said:
Can this "problem" be solved with single-variable integration, though?

not following you, this is a single ∫, isn't it? :confused:

If a curve is given by y= f(x), then a "differential of arc length" is given by [itex]ds= \sqrt{(dx)^2+ (dy)^2}= \sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2}dx[/itex].

And it is the arclength, rotated around an axis, that will give you a surface area.

In the case of the cone, say y= ax, rotated around the y- axis, the circumference of a small section would be [itex]2\pi x[/itex] so that it area would be [itex]2\pi x\sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2}dr[/itex]. Of course, in this example, dy/dx= a so that would be [itex]2\pi x\sqrt{1+ a^2}dx[/itex]. The area from the coordinate plane up to y= aR, so that x= R, would be [itex]\pi \int_0^R x\sqrt{1+ a^2}dx= \pi R^2\sqrt{1+ a^2}/2[/itex].

1. What is the surface area of a solid of revolution?

The surface area of a solid of revolution refers to the total area of the curved surface formed when a two-dimensional shape is rotated about an axis to form a three-dimensional object.

2. How is the surface area of a solid of revolution calculated?

The surface area of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula S = 2π∫abf(x)√(1+(f'(x))^2)dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function that represents the shape being rotated.

3. Can the surface area of a solid of revolution be calculated for any shape?

Yes, the surface area of a solid of revolution can be calculated for any shape as long as it is rotated about an axis. This includes shapes such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and more.

4. Why is the surface area of a solid of revolution important?

The surface area of a solid of revolution is important in many real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a curved surface or determining the amount of material required to create a specific three-dimensional object.

5. How is the surface area of a solid of revolution related to the volume of the solid?

The surface area of a solid of revolution and the volume of the solid are related through the Pappus's centroid theorem. This theorem states that the volume of a solid of revolution is equal to the product of its surface area and the distance traveled by its centroid during one complete rotation.