Surface area of parametric equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the tangent plane and the surface area of a surface with parametric equations. The equation of the tangent plane at a given point is already determined, and the discussion shifts to finding the surface area using an integral. Suggestions are made to convert the integral to polar coordinates for easier computation.
Pete_01

Homework Statement

For the surface with parametric equations r(st)=<st, s+t, s-t>, find the equation of the tangent plane at (2,3,1).
Find the surface area under the restriction s^2 + t^2 <=(lessthanorequalto) 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already figured out the equation of the tangent plane: -2x+3y-z=4, but I am not sure how to find the surface area? I want to use the SA equation |rs x rt| integrated from ds 0 to 1 and dt 0 to 2pi but i am not having much luck. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pete_01 said:

Homework Statement

For the surface with parametric equations r(st)=<st, s+t, s-t>, find the equation of the tangent plane at (2,3,1).
Find the surface area under the restriction s^2 + t^2 <=(lessthanorequalto) 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already figured out the equation of the tangent plane: -2x+3y-z=4, but I am not sure how to find the surface area? I want to use the SA equation |rs x rt| integrated from ds 0 to 1 and dt 0 to 2pi but i am not having much luck. Any ideas?

If you are integrating with dA=ds dt, from ds 0 to 1, then dt would be 0 to [tex]\sqrt{1-s^2}[/tex]. Try converting the double integral to polar coordinates with dA=r dr d_theta.

1. What is the definition of surface area in parametric equations?

The surface area in parametric equations refers to the total area of a three-dimensional surface defined by a set of parametric equations. It represents the amount of space that the surface occupies in the three-dimensional world.

2. How do you calculate the surface area of a parametric equation?

To calculate the surface area of a parametric equation, you first need to determine the bounds of the parameters. Then, use the formula for surface area integration, which involves taking the partial derivatives of the parametric equations and plugging them into the formula. Finally, integrate the resulting expression over the bounds of the parameters.

3. What units are used for measuring surface area in parametric equations?

The units used for measuring surface area in parametric equations depend on the units used for the parameters in the equations. For example, if the parameters are measured in meters, then the surface area will be measured in square meters.

4. Are there any special cases when calculating the surface area of a parametric equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when calculating the surface area of a parametric equation. These include cases where the surface is self-intersecting, has multiple closed loops, or has discontinuities in the parameter equations. In these cases, the surface area formula may need to be modified to accurately calculate the total surface area.

5. What real-life applications use the concept of surface area in parametric equations?

The concept of surface area in parametric equations is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it is used to calculate the surface area of complex three-dimensional objects such as buildings or bridges, to determine heat transfer rates in thermodynamics, and to calculate the surface area of a human body for medical purposes.