1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integral finding the limits

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to evaulate ∫ ∫S dS where S is the surface z = x² + y², 0 ≤ z ≤ 4.

2. Relevant equations

dS = √( 1 + ƒ²x + ƒ²y)dxdy

3. The attempt at a solution

dS = √( 1 + 4x² + 4y²)dxdy

here's the problem

what are the limits to the surface integral? no clue.. dx means i should find a limit for x but i see no obvious way to, also i could change this to cylindrical coordinates but still dont know what the limits would be.

∫ ∫ √( 1 + 4x² + 4y²)dxdy

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Hi Spout

The first thing you should do is draw the graph, which is a paraboloid.

Put z = 4 in the equation of the surface, S. You will get a circle with radius 2.

Since you are projecting onto the x-y plane, find ##z_x## and ##z_y## hence find the surface area:
    $$\int \int \sqrt{(z_x)^2+(z_y)^2+1}\,.dxdy $$
    Then, as the projection is a circle, it is easier to evaluate this double integral using polar coordinates.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. May 29, 2012 #3
    This is quite embrassing but what does "Since you are projecting onto the x-y plane, find zx and zy hence find the surface area" mean

up to now i only know the process of solving these problems i dont know what partial derivative represents or means, so I'm unable to comprehend this sentence could you give a tiny bit of a hint :)?

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    When doing these, one crucial step that is often unavoidable is visualizing the region. I've thought about some ways to manipulate limits of integration without visualizing, but I think it would make things much harder. So you should learn to visualize the regions the describe.

You have a bowl shape that is parabolic (paraboloid is the term in this dimension), that is, consider the y=0 plane, then z=x^2 is parabolic (the term for curves). The bowl occupies space between z=0...4. At z=0, x and y must be zero. At the z=4 plane, you have the circle x^2+y^2=4, that is, radius 2. You had the right integrand, √(1+4x^2+4y^2) dxdy.

So to find the region that paramet(e)rizes the bowl via x and y, we need to know which values of x and y will garauntee we hit all points of the bowl exactly once. So that is the projection of the bowl down (and/or up) onto the xy plane. The projection is of course the disk, x^2+y^2≤ 4. The limits would be hard to integrate with, so our look would be much better if we use a change of coordinates, from rectangular to polar coordinate.

So we want to map from (x,y) to (r,θ). Then the integrand would be √(1+r^2), while dxdy becomes rdrdθ. Why don't you try to find out what the limits of integration would be.

6. May 29, 2012 #5
    I see

well im guessing 0 ≤ r ≤ 2 because this covers the min and max radius

and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2pi because this covers all points angular-ly

then the integral would be

∫(0 to 2pi) ∫(0 to 2) [ √( 1 + 4r²cos²θ + 4r²sin²θ) ] rdrdθ

∫(0 to 2pi) ∫(0 to 2) [ √( 1 + 4r²) ] rdrdθ

:)? amirite

7. May 29, 2012 #6
    it turned out correct, you guys are legends

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook