1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral problem: ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##

Tags:
  1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##, ##S##is the surface with vector equation ##r(u, v)## = ##(2uv, u^2-v^2, u^2+v^2)##, ##u^2+v^2 \leq 1##

2. Relevant equations
    Surface Integral. ##\iint_S f(x, y, z)dS = \iint f(r(u, v))\left | r_u \times r_v \right |dA##,
    3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I tried to shift the form of ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##. ##x^2+y^2##.
    ##x^2+y^2## = ##u^4v^4+2u^2v^2+v^4##, and ##\left | r_u \times r_v \right |## = ##\sqrt{32v^4+64u^2v^2+32u^4}##
    Thus, the initial integral becomes ##\iint_S 2^2sqrt{2}(u^2+v^2)^3 dudv##
    I used polar coordinates, as u = rsin##\theta## and v = ##rsin\theta##. ##0\leq r\leq 1##, ## 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##. As result, the answer came to be ##2^3\sqrt{2}/5*\pi## but the answer sheet says its zero. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I checked your algebra, and all looks good up to the switch to polar coords.
    Did you try without the substitution?

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    I tried, but it was way too complexed. Anyway, if my algebra and switghing to polar coords is not bad, is it presumable that the 'answer sheet' is wrong?

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know immediately just looking at the problem that the answer must be positive. The integrand is nonnegative. So, yes, the answer sheet is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted