1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integral With Divergence Thm

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\mathit{F}(x,y,z) = (e^y\cos z, \sqrt{x^3 + 1}\sin z, x^2 + y^2 + 3)## and let ##S## be the graph of ##z = (1-x^2-y^2)e^{(1-x^2-3y^2)}## for ##z \ge 0##, oriented by the upward unit normal. Evaluate ##\int_{S} \mathit{F} \ dS##. (Hint: Close up this surface and use the Divergence Theorem)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's clear that ##div \ F = 0##, so if I was working with a closed surface, ##\int_{S} \mathit{F} \ dS## would equal 0. For the graph of ##S##, I am unsure as to what "closing up" a surface means. How would one close up a surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2
    Add the surface z=0 to creates closed surface. Then, the divergence theorem gives the surface integral of the sum of the surfaces; subtract the integral over what you added to get the surface integral of the desired surface.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    Ok, so what I think you're saying is I have to do:

##0 - \int_{plane \ z = 0} F \ dS##

which will get me only the surface integral of the graph of z?

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. And you'll need to pick the correct direction for the normal vector for the surface z=0.

6. Mar 26, 2013 #5
    For it to be outward pointing, would the z-component have to be negative, ie, (0,0,-1)?

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted