1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Surface integral without using Gauss's Theorem

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the value of the surface integral [tex]\int[/tex]A [tex]\bullet[/tex] da, where A = xi - yj + zk, over the surface defined by the cylinder c2 = x2 + y2. The height of the cylinder is h.

2. Relevant equations

I found the answer quite easily using Gauss's theorem, as the divergence of the vector A is simply 1, so the volume integral reduces to [tex]\int[/tex]dv, which just becomes the volume of the cylinder. However, I was wondering how to integrate directly without using Gauss's theorem; i.e., integrate the original surface integral [tex]\int[/tex]A [tex]\bullet[/tex] da. I feel like this is a pretty simple question and I'm thinking way too hard.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide the cylinder's surface up into 3 pieces: two endcaps and one curved surface. What is [itex]d\textbf{a}[/itex] for each of these 3 pieces? What variables change over each surface, which stay the same (and what are their fixed values)?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook