Surface Volume and Line charge densities, how to solve problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field strength at different distances from a solid sphere with a uniform charge density. The Shell Theorem is mentioned as a method for solving the problem, but the speaker suggests using q/(4πε₀r^2) as a simpler solution. The concept of a shell and its relationship to the sphere is also mentioned.
turtieari
This question is a perfect example:

A solid sphere 25cm in radius carries 14microC, distributed uniformly throughout it's volume. Find the electric field strength a) 15cm b)25cm and c)50 cm from center.

I know that I need my gaussian surface and I also need
p=q/v where p is the (Qenclosed) in the equation: Qenclosed/epsilon=EA

Could someone help me understand what the charge densities are for. Do I have to subsitute Qenclosed for p or do I just use it as a clue that I need the volume?

Thank you for your time!

Warmest regards,
ARi :"D

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you actually need to use Gauss's law for this one, TBH. Since it's a sphere with uniform ρ, by the Shell Theorem, it acts like all the charge were centered at, well, the center. I'd solve using

E = q/(4πε₀r^2)

If you really want to use a Gaussian surface, since it's symmetrical:

qenc/ε₀ = EA -> E = 14µC/ε₀(4πR^2)

Where R is .15m+whatever the distance is from the sphere. Since the shell theorem comes from Gauss's Law, sort of, I guess they're actually the same answer, though.

Hope this helps.

The shell theorem is new to me. Maybe I don't know with that name. THANK YOU!

The shell theorem says if you have a "shell", infinitely thin and spherical with uniform charge density, the charge acts as if all the charge were at the center. It also works with rings, but not in the 3rd dimeension. The corollary is that a solid sphere, being an infinite number of shells, also acts as if it were at the center.

We learned it in AP physics, but I don't know if it's a 'real' theorem.

Hi ARi,

To solve this problem, you will need to use the concept of charge densities. Charge density is defined as the amount of charge per unit volume or per unit area. In this case, the problem is asking for the electric field strength at different distances from the center of a solid sphere with a given radius and charge.

To start, we need to find the charge density of the sphere. Since the charge is distributed uniformly throughout the volume, we can use the formula p=q/v, where p is the charge density, q is the total charge, and v is the volume of the sphere. In this case, the total charge (q) is given as 14 microC and the volume (v) of a sphere is (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius. Substituting these values, we get p= (14 microC)/[(4/3)π(25 cm)^3] = 1.12 microC/cm^3.

Now, we can use this charge density to find the electric field strength at different distances from the center of the sphere. To do this, we will use Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0). Mathematically, it can be written as Φ=E*A=qenclosed/ε0, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field strength, and A is the area of the closed surface.

In this problem, we will use a spherical Gaussian surface with different radii to find the electric field strength at different distances. For a) 15 cm, the Gaussian surface will have a radius of 15 cm. Since the charge is uniformly distributed, the enclosed charge will be the same as the total charge, which is 14 microC. Substituting these values in the equation, we get E=(14 microC)/(ε0*4π*(15 cm)^2) = 6.22 N/C.

Similarly, for b) 25 cm, the Gaussian surface will have a radius of 25 cm and the enclosed charge will still be 14 microC. Substituting these values, we get E=(14 microC)/(ε0*4π*(25 cm)^2) = 2.80 N/C.

For c) 50 cm, the Gaussian surface will have a radius of

1. What is surface volume and line charge density?

Surface volume and line charge density are two measures of the distribution of electric charge in a given region. Surface charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit area on a surface, while volume charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit volume in a three-dimensional region. Line charge density, also known as linear charge density, is the amount of charge per unit length along a line.

2. How do I calculate surface volume and line charge densities?

To calculate surface volume charge density, divide the total charge on a surface by the area of the surface. For volume charge density, divide the total charge in a three-dimensional region by the volume of that region. To calculate line charge density, divide the total charge along a line by the length of the line.

3. What are some common units for surface volume and line charge densities?

Surface charge density is typically measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m^2), while volume charge density is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3). Line charge density is usually measured in coulombs per meter (C/m).

4. How can I use surface volume and line charge densities to solve problems?

Surface volume and line charge densities can be used to calculate the electric field at a given point in space using Coulomb's law. They can also be used to determine the total electric flux through a surface or the total charge enclosed by a surface or line.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with surface volume and line charge densities?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units when necessary. It's also important to pay attention to the direction of the electric field and the signs of the charges involved in a problem. Additionally, be mindful of using the correct formula for the given problem, as there are different equations for calculating electric field and flux for different types of charge distributions.