Surfaces and dot products

In summary, the technique involves finding the point P on a given surface that has the shortest distance from a point Q in R3. This is achieved by minimizing the squared length of the vector PQ. The reason for minimizing the squared length instead of the actual length is because it is quicker and avoids the use of square-roots. The process of finding the minimum of the squared length involves setting the first order partial derivatives of the new function g(x,y) equal to zero and substituting those values into the surface f(x,y). The result is a point P whose length is minimal to Q.
Noxide
A little clarification is required for the following techniqueTHE TECHNIQUE
Given a surface z = f(x,y), and some point Q in R3 (not on the surface)
The point P on the surface for which the distance from P(x, y, f(x,y)) to Q is the shortest distance from the surface to Q (i.e. vector PQ has minimal length) is determined by minimizing the squared length (or PQ dot PQ)of vector PQ.

A REMARK
The next paragraph seems dauntingly long, I think it asks 2 questions...

THE QUESTIONS
That's fine and dandy as techniques go, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly why we do that to the squared length. I can understand wanting to minimize the length... but minimizing the dot product/squared length seems foreign to me. Clearly there's some gap in my knowledge as to why this is done. Also, we are finding the minimum of the new function g(x,y) = PQ dot PQ by setting it's first order partial derivatives w.r.t x and y equal to zero, but we then substitute those same values of x and y into the surface f(x,y)... I understand that x and y carry through, but it just seems odd that the values of x and y for which g(x,y) is a minimum (i'm not sure if that's always the case, but the solution manual seems to indicate it is) will yield a point P whose length is minimal to Q.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Noxide! :smile:
Noxide said:
… I'm having trouble understanding exactly why we do that to the squared length. I can understand wanting to minimize the length... but minimizing the dot product/squared length seems foreign to me.

The length of PQ is defined as √(PQ.PQ).

Call that r … it doesn't matter whether we minimise (positive) r or r2, they'll be at minimum or maximum together …

i] this is obvious!
ii] alternatively, if ∂r/∂x = 0, then ∂r2/∂x = 2r∂r/∂x = 0 …

and we choose to do it to r2 because that avoids using square-roots, so it's quicker and easier! :wink:

(sorry, but I don't understand your second question :confused:)

1. What is a surface in mathematics?

A surface in mathematics refers to a two-dimensional shape or structure that can be defined by an equation or set of equations. Examples of surfaces include planes, spheres, cylinders, and cones.

2. What is a dot product and how is it calculated?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that calculates the scalar (or scalar component) between two vectors. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together.

3. How is the dot product used in geometry?

In geometry, the dot product is used to find the angle between two vectors or to determine if two vectors are perpendicular (have a dot product of 0). It can also be used to project a vector onto another vector.

4. What is the relationship between the dot product and the angle between two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This relationship is known as the dot product formula: A • B = |A||B|cosθ.

5. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative if the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions.