Surfaces/Areas of Revolution - Parametric

In summary, the surface of revolution and volume of revolution around the x-axis will be 2*pi*int( |g(t)|*sqrt( (df(t)/dt)^2+(dg(t)/dt)^2 ), t=a..b) and V=pi*int( (g(t))^2*df(t)/dt , t=a..b) respectively.
KingBongo
Suppose that you have a parametric curve given by

x = f(t), y = g(t), a ≤ t ≤ b

What will the Surface of revolution and Volume of revolution around the x-axis be?

I have two candidates:

Surface: S = 2*pi*int( |g(t)|*sqrt( (df(t)/dt)^2+(dg(t)/dt)^2 ) , t=a..b)

Volume: V = pi*int( (g(t))^2*df(t)/dt , t=a..b)

I believe those are correct, at least I hope so... Now, here come my main questions;

1. Under what circumstances will you get "correct" results? Under what circumstances does the surface/volume "overlap" when rotating?

2. Does the curve have to behave in some certain way? Does it have to stay in one quadrant for all t? Do you have to impose some conditions, like df(t)/dt≥0 for all t?

Could somebody please explain this to me? I have been trying to figuring that out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Number two gives you the big hint

Do you have to impose some conditions, like df(t)/dt≥0 for all t?

What if df/dt<0 for some t? Then the x coordinate will double back on itself... but you don't know what happens with the y coordinate. So your curve isn't the curve of a function (since it's multi-valued). Try drawing some curves like that and see if anything gets messed up

Office_Shredder:
Yes, that is another possiblity, :) Mine was only an example. What I am looking for is what happens when the curve "turns" back in one or more of the coordinates and when it exists in more than one quadrants and stuff like that. Anything that can go wrong. That is why I am asking these questions.

Man, is this some kind of joke or what?

I am trying to find a parametric curve, x=f(t) and y=g(t), preferably lying in the first quadrant (x≥0, y≥0), fulfilling all of the objectives

A. Minimizing the surface of revolution around the x-axis, min S

B. Constant volume of revolution around the x-axis, V=const

C. End conditions f(a)=0, g(a)=R, g(b)=r, where R≥0, r≥0

In my mind this should be solvable, ending up with some kind of round curve (possibly part of a circle), but I am not able to find any feasible Extremals.

WHAT is wrong here? Does anybody have any idea? Are my formulas for the surface of revolution and volume of revolution correct?

1. What is a surface/area of revolution?

A surface/area of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around a specific axis. This creates a surface that resembles a three-dimensional object, such as a cone or a cylinder.

2. What is the parametric form of a surface/area of revolution?

The parametric form of a surface/area of revolution is a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on the surface in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters are typically the angle of rotation and the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How is the surface/area of revolution calculated?

The surface/area of revolution can be calculated using integration. The formula for the surface area is 2π∫abf(x)√(1+(f'(x))2)dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the equation of the curve being rotated.

4. What is the difference between a surface of revolution and an area of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve, while an area of revolution is the curved surface that results from the rotation. In other words, the surface of revolution is the entire solid object, while the area of revolution is just the outer surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of surfaces/areas of revolution?

Surfaces/areas of revolution are commonly used in engineering and design to create objects with curved surfaces, such as pipes, bottles, and car tires. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and in physics to calculate the moments of inertia of rotating objects.