Why Does a Ruler Rise Up a Pencil When Swung at Higher Frequencies?

• Thread starter Lil_Aziz1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person swinging a ruler around a pencil and wondering why the ruler goes up the pencil when the frequency increases. It is explained that the angular velocity and centripetal acceleration increases with frequency, and the normal force from the pencil is providing the centripetal acceleration. However, it is unclear why the ruler moves upward instead of downward due to the force of gravity. One possible explanation is that as the speed increases, the inertia of the pencil creates more force to move the ruler upward than gravity creates to move it downward.
Lil_Aziz1
Hey everyone. So I was bored and I started swinging my ruler around my pencil (my ruler has a little hole where my pencil can be inserted into). Then I remembered we talked about why the ruler starts to go up the pencil if frequency increases in my physics class last year. The thing is, I can't remember why exactly this happens. I just remember talking about it. Now when frequency goes up, angular velocity goes up, then angular acceleration goes up, and then centripetal acceleration goes up. What's providing the centripetal acceleration? The normal force from the pencil (I think). However, this does not answer how it goes up the pencil because centripetal acceleration is horizontal and force of gravity is downward.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Erm. I'm having hard time picturing exactly what you are doing and what do you mean by going up. Do you mean swinging it in a vertical or horizontal plane?

Could it be that as you are twirling the ruler your pencil is tracing out a cone? As the speed increases, the inertia of the pencil creates more force force the ruler to move outward and upward on the pencil than gravity creates to move it downward.

skeptic2 said:
Could it be that as you are twirling the ruler your pencil is tracing out a cone? As the speed increases, the inertia of the pencil creates more force force the ruler to move outward and upward on the pencil than gravity creates to move it downward.

Exactly.

Hello! It's great that you're exploring the physics behind swinging a ruler around a pen. The phenomenon you observed is known as centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In this case, the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string or hole of the ruler, which pulls it towards the center of the circle.

As you correctly stated, when the frequency of the ruler's motion increases, so does its angular velocity, angular acceleration, and centripetal acceleration. This means that the ruler is moving faster and its path becomes more curved, requiring a greater force to keep it in that circular motion.

You also mentioned the normal force from the pencil as a possible source of centripetal acceleration. While the normal force does play a role in keeping the ruler from falling down, it is not the main source of the centripetal force. Instead, it is the tension in the string or hole of the ruler that provides the necessary force to keep the ruler moving in a circular path.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion and that you continue to explore and learn more about the principles of physics. Keep up the curiosity and experimentation!

Related to Why Does a Ruler Rise Up a Pencil When Swung at Higher Frequencies?

1. How does swinging a ruler around a pen create a circular motion?

When you swing a ruler around a pen, the ruler's weight creates a centripetal force that keeps it moving in a circular path. This force is directed towards the center of the circle, which is the pen in this case.

2. Is there a specific way to hold the ruler and pen while swinging?

While there is no specific way to hold the ruler and pen, it is recommended to hold the pen steady with one hand and swing the ruler with your other hand. This will help maintain a consistent circular motion.

3. Why does the ruler not fall off when swinging around the pen?

The centripetal force generated by the ruler's weight is strong enough to overcome the force of gravity, keeping the ruler in a circular motion around the pen. This is due to the principle of equilibrium, where the forces acting on an object are balanced.

4. Can you change the speed of the circular motion?

Yes, you can change the speed of the circular motion by adjusting the length of the ruler or the weight of the pen. A longer ruler or a heavier pen will create a faster circular motion, while a shorter ruler or a lighter pen will create a slower circular motion.

5. Is swinging a ruler around a pen considered a scientific experiment?

No, swinging a ruler around a pen is not a scientific experiment as it does not involve a systematic process of testing and gathering data to support a hypothesis. It is simply a demonstration of the principles of circular motion and centripetal force.