Switching high voltages with arduino and a relay

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety concerns and proper usage of an adapter made to switch a lightbulb on and off using an arduino and a relay. The main issue raised is the omission of the phase wire and the potential danger for appliances that require grounding. The participants also mention the importance of using a relay with appropriate contact ratings for inductive loads.
William123
Hello

I came across this video on youtube where a guy was switching a lightbulb on and off with an arduino and a relay ().
I was bothered by how he left out the phase wire (look at the image at 4 mins and 53 sec in). People mostly seem to be complaining about how he is breaking the ground wire, and I can see why that is wrong too, but shouldn't he also be using all three wires aswell? Even if he was breaking the phase wire and left out the ground wire then wouldn't it be unsafe to use this "adapter" with appliances that need to be grounded? If I were to do this then I would try to make the adapter like an extension of the wall outlet by connecting all three wires in both ends and breaking the phase wire, that way you could use it for appliances that are either grounded or not. Am I right or wrong?

Also, I saw another video of a guy who was switching a light bulb on and off in the same way and he was using a plug that looked kind of like the 2 prong euro plug (he had wired it up himself). To do this safely, you would have to look for a lightbulb/socket that are double insulated right?

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
William123 said:
Hello

I came across this video on youtube where a guy was switching a lightbulb on and off with an arduino and a relay ().
I was bothered by how he left out the phase wire (look at the image at 4 mins and 53 sec in). People mostly seem to be complaining about how he is breaking the groIf I were to do this then I would try to make the adapter like an extension of the wall outlet by connecting all three wires in both ends and breaking the phase wire, that way you could use it for appliances that are either grounded or not. Am I right or wrong?

Also, I saw another video of a guy who was switching a light bulb on and off in the same way and he was using a plug that looked kind of like the 2 prong euro plug (he had wired it up himself). To do this safely, you would have to look for a lightbulb/socket that are double insulated right?

Regards

Didn't watch the vid, but yes, you want the phase to be the only one interrupted. Everything else should be as if this 'switch' is not even there. In the USA the neutral is NEVER EVER supposed to be interrupted. And of course the ground is the same.

Likes berkeman, Asymptotic, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
What @Averagesupernova said. The 'hot' wire should be the only one switched.

Another thing ... the presenter stated 10 amp contact ratings at 120V and 240V AC voltage, and 10A at 28V and 30V DC. This is true for resistive loads (1), but contact rating is 3 amps for inductive loads. The small fan in the video should be low current and under the 3 amp rating, but even so, switching inductive loads reduces contact life, and it is a good idea to look closely at the https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/man/20084141716341001RelayX1.pdf relay specifications.

(1) For form A contacts. Couldn't make out the relay part number in the video, but it was SRD-05VDC-SL-C in a photograph I found online describing the HL52S relay board. Current rating for form C contacts is 7 amps at 240 VAC and 28 VDC.

1. How does an Arduino switch high voltages using a relay?

An Arduino can switch high voltages by using a relay, which is an electromechanical switch that is controlled by a low voltage signal from the Arduino. The Arduino sends a signal to the relay, which then closes or opens its contacts to allow the high voltage to pass through or stop flowing. This allows the Arduino to control devices that require high voltages, such as motors, lights, or appliances.

2. What are the components needed to switch high voltages with an Arduino?

To switch high voltages with an Arduino, you will need an Arduino board, a relay module, a power supply for the high voltage device, and appropriate wiring. It is important to choose a relay that can handle the voltage and current of the device you are trying to control. You may also need additional components such as diodes or transistors to protect the Arduino and ensure proper functionality.

3. Can an Arduino safely handle high voltages?

No, an Arduino is designed to handle low voltages and cannot safely handle high voltages on its own. That is why a relay is used to switch the high voltage, as it provides isolation between the Arduino and the high voltage device. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with high voltages and always use caution when handling electrical components.

4. Are there any limitations to switching high voltages with an Arduino?

There are some limitations to consider when switching high voltages with an Arduino. The relay must be chosen carefully to ensure it can handle the voltage and current of the device being controlled. The Arduino also has a limited number of pins, so if you need to control multiple high voltage devices, you may need additional relays and wiring. Additionally, the switching speed may be slower compared to other methods of controlling high voltages.

5. Are there any alternatives to using an Arduino and a relay to switch high voltages?

Yes, there are other methods of controlling high voltages, such as using a transistor or optocoupler. These methods may offer faster switching speeds and may be more suitable for certain applications. It is important to research and choose the appropriate method for your specific project and ensure proper safety precautions are followed.