Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices

• Thread starter ilp89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the discussion revolves around whether Sylvester's Criterion holds for infinite-dimensional matrices and the various interpretations of positive definiteness in this context. While in the finite-dimensional case, the criterion can be applied by finding determinants of all principal minors, it may not be as straightforward in the infinite-dimensional case. The specific problem being worked on involves mapping a Banach space into itself, which has a topology. There are also different interpretations of quadratic forms with infinite matrices, such as considering only vectors with finitely many non-zero coordinates or assuming the matrix is of a bounded operator in \ell^2. Therefore, the answer to whether there is something similar to Sylvester's Criterion for a countably infinite square matrix depends on the specific interpretation
ilp89
Does Sylvester's Criterion hold for infinite-dimensional matrices? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ilp89 said:
Does Sylvester's Criterion hold for infinite-dimensional matrices? Thanks!

I can't see how unless one defines rationally the determinant of infinite matrices...

DonAntonio

Well, Sylvester's criterion only requires us to find determinants of the principal minors, which are all finite square matrices. There are just an infinite number of them.

ilp89 said:
Well, Sylvester's criterion only requires us to find determinants of the principal minors, which are all finite square matrices. There are just an infinite number of them.

If I remember correctly S.C. requires to find out ALL the principal minors' determinants, up to and including the whole determinant's...

DonAntonio

Yes, but isn't that just the natural way to word the condition in the finite-dimensional case? Does the proof actually use the fact that the entire matrix's determinant is positive or that the determinant is finite-dimensional?

I guess if all principal minors are positive, then the infinite matrix is the limit of positive definite matrices and is thus positive semi-definite.

ilp89 said:
I guess if all principal minors are positive, then the infinite matrix is the limit of positive definite matrices and is thus positive semi-definite.

The limit...in what sense? I think you may need some topology to have any chance of defining limit in some meaningful way.

DonAntonio

I guess I haven't really told you about the specific problem I'm working on. My infinite matrix is mapping a Banach space into itself, so the matrix operator itself lives in a Banach space, which has a topology.

But I think we've strayed from the initial question... Does anyone know if there's something similar to Sylvester's criterion for a countably infinite square matrix?

The short answer is "it depends"

There are 2 main interpretations of the quadratic forms with infinite matrices:

The first one is that while we have infinite matrix, we only consider vectors with finitely many non-zero coordinates. The quadratic form is defined for all such vectors. In this case "positive definite" means that [itex](A x, x)>0[/itex] for all non-zero vectors [itex]x[/itex] with finitely many non-zero coordinates.

In this case the Silvester's criterion works, i.e. the form is positive definite if and only if all finite principle minors are positive.

The other interpretation of the quadratic form [itex](A x, x)[/itex] with infinite matrix [itex]A[/itex] is to assume that [itex]A[/itex] is a matrix of a bounded operator in [itex]\ell^2[/itex] (the space of sequences [itex]x=\{x_k\}_{k=1}^n[/itex] such that [itex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty|x_k|^2<\infty[/itex]).

In this case if all finite principal minors are positive, we can only conclude that the matrix [itex]A[/itex] is positive-semidefinite, i.e. that [itex](Ax,x)\ge0[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\ell^2[/itex] (and "positive definite" means that [itex](Ax, x)>0[/itex] for all non-zero [itex]x\in\ell^2[/itex]). And it is not hard to construct an example where all finite principal minors are positive, but [itex](Ax, x)=0[/itex] for some non-zero [itex]x\in\ell^2[/itex].

There can be more complicated interpretations of the quadratic forms with infinite matrices, but I am not going to discuss these right now.

Thanks a lot.

What is Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices?

Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices is a mathematical theorem that states that a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. This criterion applies to infinite-dimensional matrices, which are matrices with an infinite number of rows and columns.

How is Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices different from the finite-dimensional case?

In the finite-dimensional case, a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. However, in the infinite-dimensional case, this criterion still holds true, but it is not sufficient. Additional conditions must be met for an infinite-dimensional matrix to be invertible, as the concept of determinant becomes more complex in this scenario.

What are some applications of Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices?

Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices is used in various fields such as functional analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in studying infinite-dimensional linear transformations and operators.

Can Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices be extended to non-linear operators?

No, Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices only applies to linear operators. Non-linear operators do not have a determinant, so this criterion cannot be extended to them.

How does Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices relate to the concept of invertibility?

Sylvester's Criterion for Infinite-dimensional Matrices provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a matrix to be invertible. This means that if the determinant of an infinite-dimensional matrix is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible, and if the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible. In other words, the criterion is a way to determine the invertibility of an infinite-dimensional matrix.