Symbol for Integers: Z or I or both?

In summary, the standardized math symbol for integers is typically represented as ##\mathbb Z##, but some textbooks may use the symbol I instead. It is important to carefully define and understand the notation conventions used in a particular book or document.
Astro
Homework Statement
Personal Question: Internet says the standardized math symbol for integers is ##\mathbb {Z}##. However, my Alberta MathPower 10 (Western Edition) textbook from 1998 says the symbol is I. I'm guessing the textbook is wrong? Or are both answers correct?
Relevant Equations
not applicable (see homework statement)
Personal Question:

Internet says the standardized math symbol for integers is ## \mathbb {Z}##. However, my Alberta MathPower 10 (Western Edition) textbook from 1998 says the symbol is I. I'm guessing that textbook is wrong? Or are both answers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Astro said:
Homework Statement:: Personal Question: Internet says the standardized math symbol for integers is ##\mathbb {Z}##. However, my Alberta MathPower 10 (Western Edition) textbook from 1998 says the symbol is I. I'm guessing the textbook is wrong? Or are both answers correct?
Relevant Equations:: not applicable (see homework statement)

Personal Question:

Internet says the standardized math symbol for integers is ## \mathbb {Z}##. However, my Alberta MathPower 10 (Western Edition) textbook from 1998 says the symbol is I. I'm guessing that textbook is wrong? Or are both answers correct?
I've never seen I used to represent the set of integers in any textbook. Instead, I've seen only ##\mathbb Z## used for this purpose. It comes from the German zahlen, (numbers).

Likes Vanadium 50, WWGD and SammyS
I've seen them both used (I don't remember if in books or articles). They are both acceptable. There is no mathematics enforcement police squad that needs to be satisfied. It is necessary to carefully define any notation conventions that will be used in a book or document, whether they are standard or not.

"I" or "i" is popular in CS circles ; blame Fortran, with its default of i-thru-n field names standing for type integers.

hmmm27 said:
"I" or "i" is popular in CS circles ; blame Fortran, with its default of i-thru-n field names standing for type integers.
But these are just identifiers for integer variables, not symbols that represent the set of integers, which is the topic at hand in this thread.

It is just a matter of convention the author chose. Z is the standard, from my own personal experience, and I have seen I used for the set of all irrational numbers in one book.

Whats important that every time you see I in your book. You know that they are referring to the set of all integers. If you may use another book, they may use the Z notation. For more advance books, it is important to read the first pages, to see what notation the author uses.

Likes FactChecker

What is the difference between the symbols Z and I for integers?

The symbol Z represents the set of all integers, including positive, negative, and zero numbers. The symbol I, on the other hand, is often used to represent the set of positive integers only.

Why are both symbols Z and I used for integers?

The symbol Z is derived from the German word "Zahlen" which means numbers. It is widely used in mathematics and has become the standard symbol for integers. The symbol I, on the other hand, is used by some mathematicians to specifically denote the set of positive integers.

Which symbol should I use when referring to integers?

Both symbols Z and I are commonly used to represent integers. It is important to check the context in which they are being used and use the symbol that is most appropriate for the situation.

What other symbols are used to represent integers?

In addition to Z and I, the symbol ℤ (the script letter Z) is also sometimes used to represent the set of integers. This symbol is more commonly used in abstract algebra and number theory.

Can the symbols Z and I be used interchangeably?

No, the symbols Z and I cannot be used interchangeably. While they both represent integers, they have different origins and are used in different contexts. It is important to use the correct symbol to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy in mathematical notation.