1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric endomorphism

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    Hi,

We know that if u is a real symetric endomorphism, then u has a real eigenvalue and that u is diagonalizable.
    But can we say that u is diagonalizable with only real eigenvalues?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Since you are talking about eigenvalues, I take it that u is an endomorphism on some vector space (a linear transformation from vector space V to itself). Specifically, if u is symmetric and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue, then there exist non-zero x such that ux= \lambda x. Further, we can take x to have magnitude 1: <x, x>= 1. Then [itex]\lambda= \lambda<x, x>= <\lambda x, x>= <ux, x>= <x, ux>[/itex] (because u is symmetric). [itex]<x , ux>= \overline{<ux, x>}= \overline{\lambda x, x}= \overline{\lambda}\overline{<x, x>}= \overline{\lambda}[/itex].
    (The overline indicates complex conjugation.)

Since [itex]\lambda= \overline{\lambda}[/itex], [itex]\lambda[/itex] is real. That is all eigenvalues are real for a symmetric endomorphism.

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    I think you forgot an overline in the end, but I can't understand why we have:
    <x,ux>=conjugate(<ux,x>) ?

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the requirements in the definition of "inner product" is that [itex]<u, v>= \overline{<v, u>}[/itex]. Of course, if the vector space is over the real numbers, that is the same as "<u, v>= <v, u>" but then your question is trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook