Symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8

In summary, the set {1,3,5,7} under multiplication modulo 8 forms a 4-member group, which is isomorphic to the Klein group or dihedral group ##D_2##. This group has a beautiful symmetry due to the fact that every odd number raised to the power of 2 is congruent to 1 modulo 8, and the group is not isomorphic to the cyclic 4-group because no single element can generate all the elements in the group.
Kevin McHugh
I was reading Armstrong's Groups and Symmetry the other day and saw this table. It has beautiful symmetry. It is the the prime numbers multiplied modulo 8. It creates one of the most elegant things I've ever seen. What is so special about modulo 8 that creates such a symmetric matrix of primes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you be a bit more specific? Which primes are you talking about? All primes in the natural numbers, or only those less than eight? Or the primes in ##\mathbb{Z}_8##?

I expect this is true for all primes, since it works for primes > 8.

PS Stupid me, I can't get the matrix lined up correctly.

What does that array represent, and where is the symmetry?
How can something mod 8 be 9?

Kevin McHugh said:
I expect this is true for all primes, since it works for primes > 8.
That's not how mathematics works.

mfb said:
What does that array represent, and where is the symmetry?
How can something mod 8 be 9?

That's not how mathematics works.

The matrix is supposed to be the primes 1-7 multiplied modulo 8. There is beautiful symmetry there.

I guess you have to leave out ##2## for the symmetry. Then you simply have a ##(3 \times 3)-##matrix which is of course symmetric, because multiplication in ##\mathbb{Z}_n## is commutative for all ##n##, not just eight. So it boils down to all diagonal entries being ##p\cdot p = 1 \mod(8)##. But for every odd number ##2n+1## holds (not only primes): ##(2n+1)^2=4n^2+4n+1 = 1 \mod(8)## because either ##n## is even, then ##4n## and ##4n^2## are divisible by eight, or ##n## is odd and each term ##4n## and ##4n^2## provides a ##4## that adds up to eight.

I guess I missed your point.

Are you maybe referring to the fact that the set {1,3,5,7} under multiplication mod 8 is isomorphic with the Klein four-group?

TeethWhitener said:
Are you maybe referring to the fact that the set {1,3,5,7} under multiplication mod 8 is isomorphic with the Klein four-group?

Are those the r s rotations of the dihedral group?

fresh_42 said:
I guess you have to leave out ##2## for the symmetry. Then you simply have a ##(3 \times 3)-##matrix which is of course symmetric, because multiplication in ##\mathbb{Z}_n## is commutative for all ##n##, not just eight. So it boils down to all diagonal entries being ##p\cdot p = 1 \mod(8)##. But for every odd number ##2n+1## holds (not only primes): ##(2n+1)^2=4n^2+4n+1 = 1 \mod(8)## because either ##n## is even, then ##4n## and ##4n^2## are divisible by eight, or ##n## is odd and each term ##4n## and ##4n^2## provides a ##4## that adds up to eight.

I guess I missed your point.

No, it's a 4x4 matrix.

Kevin McHugh said:
In this case, yes.

Kevin McHugh said:
##C_2 \times C_2## is isomorphic to the dihedral group ##D_2##, if that's what you mean.

Kevin McHugh said:
No, it's a 4x4 matrix.
But one isn't prime, but two is. And two disturbs the permutation.

fresh_42 said:
But one isn't prime, but two is. And two disturbs the permutation.

How come one isn't prime? It's factors are 1 and itself. Forgive my ignorance in all things mathematical, I'm just a dumb chemist.

Kevin McHugh said:
How come one isn't prime? It's factors are 1 and itself. Forgive my ignorance in all things mathematical, I'm just a dumb chemist.
It's useful to exclude units (elements, that can be inverted; so in case of integers ##\pm 1##). It makes theories and theorems more elegant. In addition the proper definition of a prime is:

"If ##p## divides a product ##a \cdot b## forces that it has to divide either ##a## or ##b## (or both), then we call ##p## a prime."

And with this definition it wouldn't make sense to allow units, because they simply divide anything and the condition above became self-evident.

Edit: As an example: "Every natural number can be written as a product of primes."
If we allow ##\pm 1## to be primes, how would this short sentence end up? Because we can add as many ##1## as we like, so we would have to add "... of course without ##1##." Ugly.

Last edited:
TeethWhitener said:
##C_2 \times C_2## is isomorphic to the dihedral group ##D_2##, if that's what you mean.

In chemistry, C2 is an axis of symmetry. Are these rotations about an axis of symmetry? What does C2 X C2 mean, are they successive rotations about different axes?

Kevin McHugh said:
In chemistry, C2 is an axis of symmetry. Are these rotations about an axis of symmetry? What does C2 X C2 mean, are they successive rotations about different axes?
One is a reflection (s / symmetry), and one a rotation (r). In this case by ##180°##.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_group

Kevin McHugh said:
In this case, I used ##C_2## to refer to the cyclic group of order 2. ##C_2 \times C_2## is the direct product of two copies of this group:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_product_of_groups

Thank you both gentlemen, I am learning something new everyday. Now back to my original question. Why is the set {1,3,5,7) multiplied by modulo 8 so symmetric? Is there something special about modulo 8 versus modulo Z? Did Fresh 42 answer this question is post # 6?

It can be shown that the set of natural numbers less than n that are relatively prime to n form a group under multiplication mod n. Therefore, the set {1,3,5,7} forms a group under multiplication mod 8. There are 4 members in this group, and it can also be shown that any 4-member group is isomorphic to either ##C_4##, the cyclic 4-member group (with a single generator for all elements in the group) or the Klein group (isomorphic to ##C_2\times C_2## or ##D_2##). The set {1,3,5,7} under multiplication mod 8 can't be isomorphic to the cyclic 4-group because ##1^2 \equiv 3^2 \equiv 5^2 \equiv 7^2 \equiv 1 \mod 8##, so no single element generates the rest of the elements in the group. Therefore, it has to be isomorphic to the Klein group (the ##D_2## dihedral group, or if you like, the symmetry group of a non-square rectangle). (You could also just compare the multiplication tables of the two groups directly).

Geometrically, we can see the relationship between the group above and the symmetry of a (non-square) rectangle in 2 dimensions. The 4 elements of the symmetry group for the rectangle are 1) the identity, 2) 180 degree rotation about the symmetry axis, 3 and 4) the two reflections perpendicular to the plane of the rectangle. The congruence ##1^2 \equiv 3^2 \equiv 5^2 \equiv 7^2 \equiv 1 \mod 8## corresponds to the fact that 1) if you apply the identity twice, you get the identity, 2) if you rotate by 180 degrees twice, you get the identity, 3 and 4) if you reflect along the same mirror plane twice, you get the identity.

Wow, thanks for that TW, I'm going to digest this tonight. Cheers!

"the Klein group . . . or if you like the symmetry group of a non-square rectangle"

I will make this more precise:

* This "Klein group" is known as the "Klein four-group". Other groups are almost never called a four-group so as to avoid confusion with this one.

* Instead of a "rectangle" think of a 3-dimensional rectangular solid with all three sides unequal. We will call this a "shoebox".

* Instead of "the symmetry group" — which often means the group of all self-mappings that preserve distance (a.k.a. the isometry group), think of the set of all isometries of the shoebox obtained solely from rotations. These are exactly the 180° rotations about each of its three axes of symmetry (normally the coordinate axes), as well as doing nothing (the identity rotation).

Thank you Zinq, that is good info. I always like to hear/see different perspectives on the same topic. It usually leads to a deeper understanding of the underlying principle.

1. What is "Symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8"?

Symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8 refers to the study of patterns and relationships between prime numbers when they are multiplied and then reduced to their remainder when divided by 8.

2. Why is the concept of symmetry important in this context?

Symmetry is important because it helps to identify patterns and relationships between numbers, making it easier to understand and analyze their properties. In the case of prime multiplication modulo 8, symmetry can reveal interesting patterns and relationships between prime numbers that can lead to further discoveries.

3. Can you provide an example of symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8?

Sure, one example is the relationship between the remainder when a prime number is multiplied by itself and then divided by 8. For example, when 3 is multiplied by itself and divided by 8, the remainder is 1. This same pattern is repeated for other prime numbers such as 7 (remainder of 1), 11 (remainder of 1), and 13 (remainder of 1).

4. What is the significance of prime numbers in this context?

Prime numbers are significant because they are the building blocks of all other numbers, making them fundamental to understanding the properties and relationships of numbers. In the context of symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8, prime numbers play a crucial role in revealing patterns and relationships between numbers.

5. How can the study of symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8 be applied in real-world settings?

The study of symmetry involving prime multiplication modulo 8 can have various applications in fields such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science. For example, understanding patterns and relationships between prime numbers can help in creating more secure encryption algorithms. Additionally, the study of symmetry can also aid in developing efficient algorithms for solving mathematical problems involving prime numbers.