Searching for Symmetries in PDEs with Mathematica(c)

In summary, the conversation is about searching for symmetries in pde using Mathematica or Maple. The speaker is asking for help in setting up the code and finding a guide for studying pde symmetries. Another person suggests using Maple's inbuilt commands and mentions a book with Mathematica code for symmetry analysis. The conversation ends with someone suggesting to google the topic as it has been a while since they last did it.
Asteroid
Hello,
I have a problem in the search for symmetries in pde.
I would use Mathematica(c), does anyone know how to set up the code to obtain generators and then symmetries?
Thanks for all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maple has inbuilt commands, Mathematica requires a LOT of work.

What commands I have to use with maple? Do you know a guide for the study of pde' symmetries?
For mathematica do you have an example of pde analysis?

It's been over 15 years since I last did this. You might try googling it.

The book of Brian Cantwell has mathematica code for symmetry analysis. I don't know how up-to-date it is though.

Thanks for all

1. What is Mathematica(c)?

Mathematica(c) is a software program used for mathematical computations, data analysis, and visualization. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. What are PDEs?

PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) are mathematical equations that involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and fluid dynamics.

3. How does Mathematica(c) help in searching for symmetries in PDEs?

Mathematica(c) has built-in functions and algorithms that can manipulate and solve PDEs. It also has tools for finding symmetries in equations, such as the Symmetries and DSolve functions. These features can greatly aid in the process of searching for symmetries in PDEs.

4. What are symmetries in PDEs?

Symmetries in PDEs refer to transformations that leave the equation invariant. In other words, if the equation is transformed using a symmetry, the resulting equation is still equivalent to the original one. These symmetries often have physical significance and can help simplify and solve PDEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica(c) for searching for symmetries in PDEs?

While Mathematica(c) is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations when it comes to searching for symmetries in PDEs. It may not be able to find all possible symmetries, especially for complex equations. It also requires some knowledge and understanding of PDEs and their symmetries in order to effectively use the software for this purpose.