Synchronizing two devices with an RF signal

• Electronics
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rf Signal
In summary, LEDs will be on the wings of the RC plane - so I can't guarantee they will both see each other (fuselage in between), construction is not exactly rigid, and they will be mounted using velcro. It all makes me doubt IR and photocell solutions will work, as the line of sight can be obscured and I can't guarantee directionality of the LED and photocell (and I assume it is necessary).
Borek
Mentor
I need two synchronously flashing LEDS (as if they were connected together), but if possible I prefer to avoid connecting them with a wire. No problem with each one having its own battery and a driver. They will be about 2m apart without anything that could stop RF in between. I find it hard to believe there are no ready simple and cheap systems that can be used for such applications, but I am either using incorrect terms when googling, or what I am looking for is buried under other, unrelated systems.

Any suggestions what to look for, or what are correct googling terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
A photocell on the slave. Can also modulate the master and bandpass the slave amplifier if needed.
Garage door remote and receiver.
TV remote and receiver. (IR or ultrasonic)

Tom.G said:
A photocell on the slave. Can also modulate the master and bandpass the slave amplifier if needed.
Garage door remote and receiver.
TV remote and receiver. (IR or ultrasonic)
I was thinking something similar. At a range of 2 meters I would not consider anything other than optical.
-
@Borek is there a reason why photocells or phototransistors could not be used? Will there be a barrier between at times?

Sorry guys, I was (and am) busy with other things, but I have read everything you posted.

LEDs will be on the wings of the RC plane - so I can't guarantee they will both see each other (fuselage in between), construction is not exactly rigid, and they will be mounted using velcro. It all makes me doubt IR and photocell solutions will work, as the line of sight can be obscured and I can't guarantee directionality of the LED and photocell (and I assume it is necessary). I have nice lights on other model, controlled with Arduino and whatnot, but this time I need an easily removable solution that can be used on any model.

I have a chest strap-based heart rate monitor that apparently communicates with the handlebar mounted display using a radio. I believe all the chest sensor does is it is sending a pulse for each heart beat, this is more or less kind of a solution I was thinking about (and would be satisfactory). (Actually if you can suggest what frequency it can use I could try to check if that's how it works using RTL-SDR scanner).

Yes, there is a potential problem with LEDs getting out of synch if the pulse is used just for toggling the state. At the same time if I am able to just make them start the pulse at the same time and use 555 to keep the pulse length mostly identical on both wings it should be enough.

They will never work for longer than about 30 minutes

I will look into remotes.

433 MHz data links work well.

You might put a LED on the Rx with a driver MOSFET, with the transmitter in parallel with the controlled LED.

Or transmit control from the body, to two LEDs each with a Receiver on the same frequency.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/433Mhz-WL-RF-Transmitter-Receiver-Link-Kit-Module-for-Arduino-ARM-MCU-Wireless/223109707057?hash=item33f25ff531:g:f3wAAOSw44BYFvYw:rk:12:pf:0

Likes berkeman

What is an RF signal?

An RF (radio frequency) signal is an electromagnetic wave that is used to transmit information wirelessly. It is commonly used for communication between devices, such as in cell phones, wireless internet routers, and remote controls.

How do two devices synchronize using an RF signal?

Synchronization between two devices using an RF signal occurs when one device sends out a specific signal that is received and recognized by the other device. This signal contains information about the timing and frequency of the RF signal, allowing the two devices to communicate and coordinate their actions.

What are the advantages of using an RF signal for synchronization?

Using an RF signal for synchronization offers several advantages, including the ability to transmit information wirelessly, the ability to synchronize multiple devices at once, and the ability to use the same signal for both communication and synchronization purposes. Additionally, RF signals are less prone to interference and can travel longer distances compared to other wireless signals.

What types of devices can be synchronized using an RF signal?

RF signals can be used to synchronize a wide range of devices, including but not limited to smartphones, smart watches, fitness trackers, smart home devices, and medical equipment. As long as the devices have the necessary RF technology and protocols, they can communicate and synchronize with each other.

Are there any potential challenges or limitations when synchronizing devices with an RF signal?

Some potential challenges or limitations when using an RF signal for synchronization include interference from other wireless signals, limited range, and potential security vulnerabilities. Additionally, different devices may use different RF protocols, which could make synchronization between them more difficult.