Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplifying AD9850 DDS for 5Watt output. OPamp or RF FIT?

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    Hello. I am looking to amplify a sinusoidal signal generated from an AD9850 DDS. It appears the output is 1Vpp @ 27.12MHz when connected through a 50ohm cable to an oscilloscope. I need the total power output to be 5watts after amplification with a very clean sinusoid.

The output will be connected to a HYS TC-300 amplifier.

I will then connect the output from the HYS TC-300 to a LC matching network, and from there to a loop antenna for inductive plasma production.

My question is. What is a simple and thrifty way to amply the signal from the AD9850 signal generator? Are there OP amps that exist that would meet my requirements or do I need to use an RF FIT?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Have a look at the components available from mini-circuits: http://www.minicircuits.com/products/Amplifiers_what_is_new.shtml [Broken]

They probably have a module that will work for you. BTW,. this system will be well-shielded, right? You don't want to be leaking much energy out of your lab at frequencies that can cause RF interference to nearby receivers. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Absolutely. Faraday cages all around! Don't want to interfere with any Hamsters.

Copper mesh shielding (1-2.5mm) around the antenna and a metal box to shield all the other components. Coaxial cable from my matching network to the antenna. (Building a low cost Helicon plasma source)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted