Synchronous Generator PMG Rotor Damaged

In summary: I am not familiar with synchronous generators that have both permanent magnets and external excitation.If the vibrations increased gradually, the problem is probably not with the load. Perhaps one magnet cracked, then another, then another. If the load was unbalanced three phase, the vibrations would be a step, not a ramp.Do you have recordings of what happened from the instruments?I am not familiar with synchronous generators that have both permanent magnets and external excitation.All electrical and magnetic tests were fine.I ask again. Do you have records from the instruments?
vish1711
TL;DR Summary
Synchronous Generator PMG Rotor Damaged
Generator - 1800rpm, 11kV, 656A. While running Gen, a large load was turned on, and excitation voltage went from 23V to 120V, but that's a normal situation that happens every time and on all Generators. But this time after turning on the large load, vibrations started increasing, and Gen tripped on high vibrations. When inspected PMG rotor magnets were broken inside the gen. We did all the testing and couldn't found anything. Does anyone has experienced a similar thing before?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Was it a 3 phase generator? Was the heavy load a balanced 3 phase load?
Did one of the three phases break due to load before the other phases?

vish1711 said:
Summary:: Synchronous Generator PMG Rotor Damaged

But this time after turning on the large load, vibrations started increasing,
If the vibrations increased gradually, the problem is probably not with the load. Perhaps one magnet cracked, then another, then another. If the load was unbalanced three phase, the vibrations would be a step, not a ramp.

Do you have recordings of what happened from the instruments?

I am not familiar with synchronous generators that have both permanent magnets and external excitation.

anorlunda said:
If the vibrations increased gradually, the problem is probably not with the load. Perhaps one magnet cracked, then another, then another. If the load was unbalanced three phase, the vibrations would be a step, not a ramp.

Do you have recordings of what happened from the instruments?

I am not familiar with synchronous generators that have both permanent magnets and external excitation.
It was balanced three phase load and started with 3 Generators. Other two Generators did handle the load very well. And it's not external excitation system. There is a exciter system within the generator. You are right, it has nothing to do with the load I guess but I can't see any reason of damaging magnets. All electrical and magnetic tests were fine.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
It was balanced three phase load and started with 3 Generators. Other two Generators did handle the load very well. It has nothing to do with the load I guess but I can't see any reason of damaging magnets. All electrical and magnetic tests were fine.

vish1711 said:
Summary:: Synchronous Generator PMG Rotor Damaged

Generator - 1800rpm, 11kV, 656A. While running Gen, a large load was turned on, and excitation voltage went from 23V to 120V, but that's a normal situation that happens every time and on all Generators. But this time after turning on the large load, vibrations started increasing, and Gen tripped on high vibrations. When inspected PMG rotor magnets were broken inside the gen. We did all the testing and couldn't found anything. Does anyone has experienced a similar thing before?
PMG Pole cap Fasteners were tighten less than 20 Nm whereas it should be between 35-37 Nm. But still there is no crack on Pole cap but magnet under the pole cap are damaged.

How about a loss of synchronism event? After loss of synchronism, as frequency departs from synchronous frequency, you would see extreme and wild swings in power. When the frequency difference became big enough, those swings might be interpreted as vibrations.

I ask again. Do you have records from the instruments?

1. What is a synchronous generator PMG rotor?

A synchronous generator PMG (Permanent Magnet Generator) rotor is a component of a synchronous generator that uses permanent magnets to produce a magnetic field. This rotor is connected to the turbine shaft and rotates within the stator, which contains the armature windings. As the rotor spins, it creates an alternating current (AC) in the stator windings, which is then converted to direct current (DC) through a rectifier.

2. How does a PMG rotor get damaged?

PMG rotors can get damaged due to various reasons, such as mechanical stress, electrical faults, or environmental factors. Mechanical stress can be caused by imbalanced loads or high-speed rotation, which can lead to cracks or fractures in the rotor. Electrical faults, such as short circuits or overloads, can cause overheating and damage the rotor's insulation. Environmental factors like moisture or corrosive substances can also corrode the rotor's surface and cause damage.

3. What are the signs of a damaged PMG rotor?

The most common signs of a damaged PMG rotor include abnormal noise, vibrations, and heating. If the rotor is damaged, it may produce a loud humming or buzzing sound, which is a result of the unbalanced magnetic field. Vibrations can also be felt in the generator or the turbine, indicating a problem with the rotor. Additionally, a damaged rotor may cause the generator to overheat, which can be detected through temperature sensors.

4. Can a damaged PMG rotor be repaired?

Yes, a damaged PMG rotor can be repaired in most cases. The repair process involves inspecting the rotor for any cracks or fractures and repairing or replacing the damaged parts. If the damage is extensive, the rotor may need to be replaced entirely. It is essential to address any damage to the rotor promptly to prevent further damage to the generator and ensure its efficient operation.

5. How can I prevent PMG rotor damage?

To prevent PMG rotor damage, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial. This includes checking for any signs of wear and tear, ensuring proper alignment, and keeping the rotor clean and free of debris. It is also essential to operate the generator within its designed limits and address any issues promptly to prevent them from causing damage to the rotor. Additionally, using high-quality materials and following proper installation procedures can help prevent PMG rotor damage.