Synthehol - A new age of drugs?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Drugs
In summary, the article talks about a new alcohol substitute that would mimic the pleasurable effects of alcohol without the downsides. Psychopharmacologist David Nutt is working on the project and there is no scientific reason why it could not be made right now. There is some concern about potential side effects, but if it can be made safe and effective it could be a major advancement in drinking habits.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any Star Trek fan will recognize this idea.

All the pleasures of alcohol, with no downsides

...There may, however, just be a solution to our drinking woes - one that will allow us to go to a bar and drink as much as we want; get merry, not legless; wake without a hangover; and never have to worry that one of our favourite pastimes may be killing us. It's a cocktail of drugs that mimics the pleasurable effects of alcohol without the downsides. The idea is only on the drawing board, but there is no scientific reason why it could not be made right now, says psychopharmacologist David Nutt of the University of Bristol in the UK.[continued]
http://www.newscientist.com/article...e-pleasures-of-alcohol-with-no-downsides.html

Physics news on Phys.org
That fancy new synthehol will never replace my Klingon Blood Wine.

I don't see how you could make anything but vodka with this alcohol substitute.

Edit: I read the article again and I guess it would just be pills. Takes the taste part out of drinking.

Last edited:
It's kind of weird and funny to read an article with the interviewee named Nutt.

Ivan Seeking said:
Any Star Trek fan will recognize this idea.
I think the secientist who are working on this are Star Trek fans.

scott1 said:
I think the secientist who are working on this are Star Trek fans.
Personally I was thinking more along the lines of those people that tried every drug they could get their hands on in college but I guess they could be both.

If they need a guinea pig i will gladly go lol.

ya this is sort of one of my dreams in a sense. While they are designing a drug to mimic alcohol with no negative effects. I am personally more interested in a super-drug. All the best effects of all the good drugs. but no addiction or any other bad effects.

Be complete plowed and loving it. while knowing that your in good shape.

Edit: I read the article again and I guess it would just be pills. Takes the taste part out of drinking.

Mmmmm vodka my favourite. taste is the reason why i don't drink beer. beer taste so terrible. going to a pill or a tasteless vodka like thing would be the best ever. MMMMMAAANNNN jello shooters with synthehol. SO GREAT.

dav2008 said:

What's the part of a drink that give it it's flavour and can this be synthesised? I'd imagine getting a beer flavouring and then finding a way to infuse the drugs into a drink would be practical.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
What's the part of a drink that give it it's flavour and can this be synthesised? I'd imagine getting a beer flavouring and then finding a way to infuse the drugs into a drink would be practical.
I'm not convinced that would be without any deleterious side-effects. I'm not convinced the drugs could ever be safe when administered systematically either. Unless you're going to find a way to inject them directly to the group of neurons you want to target, there will always be side effects when a drug gets to cells that you don't want to target, but that still have the receptors for those drugs.

I think I would agree with SA's assessment regarding their motivations. :biggrin:

Well, the article talks about "no downside", but the claim is that it could avoid the worst effects.

The trick pharmacologists need to pull off is to make a mixture of molecules that deliver alcohol's pleasurable effects, notably relaxation and sociability, without the aggression, nausea, loss of coordination and amnesia that can cause drinkers and those around them so much grief. Long-term problems such as cirrhosis of the liver could also be eliminated, says Nutt, who publishes the idea next month in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, (vol 20, p 318).

One of my dorm-mates when to the pub last night and got into a fight with like 5 other people. They got him on the ground and started kicking his head over and over. He had a bloody bruise the size of a lemon on his forehead, I kid you not!

without the aggression, nausea, loss of coordination and amnesia

LOL. That's half the reason people drink is to see other people act like idiots and not remember it the next day.

1. What is Synthehol and how does it work?

Synthehol is a synthetic alcohol that is designed to mimic the effects of traditional alcohol, but without the negative side effects such as hangovers and addiction. It is created by modifying the molecular structure of ethanol, the main component of alcoholic beverages. This modification slows down the rate of absorption in the body, resulting in a longer and more controlled intoxication.

2. Is Synthehol safe to consume?

Synthehol has been extensively tested and has been deemed safe for consumption by the FDA. It does not have the same negative health effects as traditional alcohol, but it is still recommended to consume it in moderation.

3. Can Synthehol be addictive?

No, Synthehol is not addictive. The modified molecular structure makes it less likely to cause physical dependence compared to traditional alcohol. However, it can still be habit-forming, so it is important to consume it responsibly.

4. How does Synthehol affect the body?

Synthehol affects the body in a similar way to traditional alcohol, but with less severe side effects. It can still cause relaxation, lowered inhibitions, and impairment of motor skills. However, it does not dehydrate the body or damage the liver like traditional alcohol does.

5. Is Synthehol legal?

Synthehol is currently not legal for recreational use in most countries. However, it is being researched and developed for potential medical and therapeutic uses. It is important to follow the laws and regulations in your country regarding the use of Synthehol.