Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthetic biology, where can I learn more?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1

s09

I've recently read an interesting article on the NY Times about an MIT competition on synthetic biology. A determined team about from a community college managed to get there. Good read. But what I would like to know is where can I find more information about this?

* What are some good books?
    * Online resources?
    * Something that's DIY? :)

I'm a complete n00b to this, but this sounds incredible, especially since a number of the changes are being made by regular people that don't necessarily have access to multi-million dollar facilities, grants, research and equipment.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2
    I read Biopunk by Marcus Wohlsen not too long ago - it's kind of scattered in its presentation, IMO, but still an interesting read. It's more on the DIY side than the synthetic biology side, though.

The obvious suggestions I would have are OpenWetWare and DIYBio. If you play link roulette, you will certainly be swamped in reading material for a good while.

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    In addition to Mike H's links, the book "Biology Is Technology" by Rob Carlson seems like a good place to start. I haven't read the book, but I've met Rob and he's been keeping an eye on the synBio market/field for many years now.

Personally, if you really want to get into this, I recommend taking bio and chem lab courses at a community college. They're pretty cheap, and will familiarize you with the basic lab techniques.

Its all basically just complicated cooking recipes!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook