Synthetic Division for Higher Order Polynomials

• Thread starter zzmanzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
You can do a similar thing to get##\ 4a^2+14 = (a^2-2)(4) + (6) ##So that##\ 4a^4+4a^3-9a^2-4a+16 = (a^2-2)^2(4) + (a^2-2)(4a^2+6) ##And now you can factor the first
zzmanzz

Homework Statement

So I thought I knew how to do synthetic division but ran into this problem

[tex] 4a^4+4a^3-9a^2-4a+16 / (a^2-2) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
All the examples I can find don't have a second degree polynomial in the denominator. i.e. they are a-3 or a+2. How do you go about doing this division with higher order polynomials in the denominator?

Like do I still set it up as ?

-2 | 4 4 -9 -4 16
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zzmanzz said:

Homework Statement

[tex] 4a^4+4a^3-9a^2-4a+16 / (a^2-2) [/tex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
All the examples I can find don't have a second degree polynomial in the denominator. i.e. they are a-3 or a+2. How do you go about doing this division with higher order polynomials in the denominator?

-2 | 4 4 -9 -4 16
Thanks
As far as I know, synthetic division can be performed only when the divisor is a first degree polynomial whose leading coefficient is 1. IOW, the divisor has to be x - a, with a being either positive or negative.

The work that @fresh_42 showed is polynomial long division. Synthetic division is a special case of polynomial long division.

zzmanzz said:

Homework Statement

##\ 4a^4+4a^3-9a^2-4a+16 / (a^2-2) ##

Homework Equations

[/B]

-2 | 4 4 -9 -4 16
Thanks
I suppose you mean
##\ (4a^4+4a^3-9a^2-4a+16) / (a^2-2) ##
If that were division by ##\ a - 2\,,\ ## then you would have positive 2 out front in your set-up for synthetic division.

But yes, you can do some form of synthetic division here. The divisor only has terms of even degree, so it interacts with the even degree terms independently from the odd degree terms.

You can look at this as ##\displaystyle \ \frac{4a^4-9a^2+16}{a^2-2} + a\frac{4a^2-4}{a^2-2} \,.##

Do two individual synthetic divisions.

$$

\begin{array}{rr|rrrrr}
& & 4&4 & -9 & -4 & 16 \\
\hline
& 2 & & & 8 & *&*&%8 &-2
\\
0 & & & 0&*&*&%0 & 0 &
\\
\hline

&&4&*&*&*&*&%{4}&-1& 4&14
\end{array}

$$

The numbers to the left multiply the bottom left numbers to yield the middle numbers
top and middle numbers add to give bottom numbers
try to fill in the rest

1. What is synthetic division?

Synthetic division is a simplified method of dividing polynomials, or algebraic expressions with multiple terms, by a linear expression (a polynomial with one term). It involves using only the coefficients of the terms and does not require long division.

2. How is synthetic division used for higher order polynomials?

Synthetic division can be used for higher order polynomials by dividing by a factor of the form (x - a), where a is a constant. This allows for the polynomial to be divided into smaller, simpler parts that can be easier to solve.

3. What are the steps for performing synthetic division?

The steps for performing synthetic division are as follows:1. Write the coefficients of the terms of the polynomial in descending order.2. Write the constant of the divisor (the number being divided by) to the left of the coefficients.3. Bring down the first coefficient to the bottom row.4. Multiply the constant of the divisor by the number in the bottom row and write the result in the next column.5. Add the two numbers in the same column and write the sum in the next column.6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all coefficients have been used.7. The last number in the bottom row is the remainder, and the numbers in the other rows are the coefficients of the quotient.

4. What is the significance of the remainder in synthetic division?

The remainder in synthetic division represents the remainder when dividing the polynomial by the divisor. This can also be written as a fraction, with the remainder as the numerator and the divisor as the denominator. The remainder can also be used to check if a given value is a root (zero) of the polynomial.

5. How is synthetic division related to the factor theorem?

The factor theorem states that if a polynomial f(x) has a factor (x - a), then f(a) = 0. Synthetic division is a way to test if a given value is a root of a polynomial by using the remainder. If the remainder is 0, then the value is a root and the polynomial can be factored using (x - a) as a factor.