System Dynamics: A Qualitative Understanding

In summary, The conversation discusses a system with a spring hanging vertically and a mass attached to it. The motion is restricted to the x-y plane with no friction or damping. The initial conditions allow for the mass to be perturbed from its resting position. The equations describing the motion are coupled, but if the spring and pendulum are operating in the linear region, they can be decoupled for a solution. It is questioned if the system will be stable under these conditions and if there are periodic trajectories. It is also noted that once the mass is stretched, it will keep oscillating forever without an external force.
Johnrobjr
I did read some of the posts on the topic. However, I just want to check my qualitative understanding without employing too much mathematical dynamics. If anyone has some feedback, this would be much appreciated.

The System.
A spring hangs vertically. There is a mass attached to it.

Assumptions
The motion is restricted to act in the x-y plane. There is no friction or damping.

Initial Conditions
The mass can be perturbed from its resting position (the origin, -y axis parallel to the gravitational force).

My Understanding
There are three differential equations:
one for the mass moving along the y-axis.
And, one the mass moving along the x-axis.
Also, the is one for the energy of the system.

Most generally, the equations describing the motion in the plane are coupled, and a closed form solution is not possible. However, if the spring is stretched only so that it operates in the linear region, and the pendulum is displaced only so that it is operating in the linear region...then the equations are decoupled and a solution is possible.

My question is under those initial conditions where the equations are decoupled, will the system be stable, assuming no friction or damping? I think it will degenerate, but I am not sure why.

Also, if the system is operating so that the equations are coupled then many trajectories are possible (perhaps infinite). Is this true?

It the system operates so that the equations are coupled then are there periodic trajectories that remain stable or will they always evolve to others with time?

Physics news on Phys.org
The system has no external energy and the internal energy is balanced (gravity vs spring).
If there is no friction or damping, once the mass is stretched, it will keep oscillating forever.
Time has no role here, once you begin this oscillating there is no stopping it without an external force.

I still cannot understand how the motion is restricted to the x-y plane, it should only be restricted to the y plane along which the only two forces are (gravity and spring)

1. What is System Dynamics?

System Dynamics is a methodology for understanding and modeling complex systems. It focuses on the relationships and feedback loops between different components of a system to study how they interact and change over time.

2. How is System Dynamics different from other modeling approaches?

System Dynamics takes a holistic approach to modeling by considering the interconnections and feedback loops within a system, rather than just focusing on individual components. It also utilizes qualitative methods, such as causal loop diagrams and stock-and-flow diagrams, to represent the dynamic behavior of a system.

3. What are some real-world applications of System Dynamics?

System Dynamics has been used in various fields, such as business management, environmental sustainability, public policy, and healthcare. It can be applied to any complex system that involves multiple interacting components, such as supply chains, ecosystems, and social systems.

4. Can System Dynamics be used to make predictions?

While System Dynamics models are not intended to make precise predictions, they can provide insights into how a system may behave in different scenarios. By simulating different scenarios, System Dynamics can help identify potential outcomes and inform decision-making.

5. How can System Dynamics be used to improve system performance?

System Dynamics can be used to identify leverage points within a system and understand how changes in one component can affect the entire system. By simulating different strategies and policies, System Dynamics can help identify the most effective ways to improve system performance and achieve desired goals.