System model of doppler shifted laser

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling a received laser signal, x(t), reflected off a moving target and the challenges of accurately simulating both frequency and time-varying phase shifts. It is suggested that the model is correct, but the frequency shift due to the Doppler effect should be adjusted to include the velocity of the target.
jmountney
Hello all,

I am trying to model a received laser signal, x(t), reflected off a moving target. I am currently trying to model for both frequency change due to Doppler shifting as well as a time-varying phase shift, θ(t), due to the continuous change in distance from the target. My current model is as follows:

x(t) = cos(2∏(f+f0(t))t + θ(t)),

where f0(t) is the Doppler effect at time t and θ(t)=(distance at time t)/wavelength. I do not assume constant velocity so the f0(t) may change over time. It appears that trying to simulate both phase and frequency shifts simultaneously does not accurately model what I expect.

If there is a constant velocity it will introduce a constant frequency shift. However, if there is a constant velocity, this implies the target is in motion and therefore the phase constantly changes with respect to the distance from the target. In turn, the constant phase change appears to offset the frequency change.

I am not sure if this physical model is correct. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
The model you have is correct for a moving target, however, the only thing that needs to be changed is the frequency shift due to the Doppler effect. Instead of having f0(t) as the frequency shift, it should be fd(t) = 2vf0/c, where v is the velocity of the target and c is the speed of light. This will take into account the velocity of the target in addition to the frequency shift.

1. What is the system model of doppler shifted laser?

The system model of doppler shifted laser is a mathematical representation of the physical processes and components involved in a laser system that is affected by the doppler effect. This model takes into account the motion of the laser source, the target, and any medium through which the laser travels.

2. How does the doppler effect impact a laser system?

The doppler effect causes a change in the frequency of the laser beam depending on the relative motion between the source and the target. This shift in frequency can affect the accuracy and precision of the laser system, particularly in applications such as remote sensing or laser measurements.

3. What factors are included in the system model of doppler shifted laser?

The system model takes into account the velocity of the laser source, the target, and any medium through which the laser beam travels. It also considers the wavelength of the laser beam and the angle of incidence between the source and the target.

4. How is the system model of doppler shifted laser used in practice?

The system model is used to predict and compensate for the doppler shift in laser systems. This allows for more accurate measurements and improved performance in applications such as laser radar, LIDAR, and laser velocimetry.

5. Are there any limitations to the system model of doppler shifted laser?

While the system model is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the doppler shift in laser systems, it does have some limitations. It may not account for all factors that can affect the doppler shift, such as atmospheric turbulence or non-uniform motion of the target. Additionally, the accuracy of the model relies on the accuracy of the input parameters and may not apply to all types of laser systems.