Calculating Work with Pressure in a System

In summary, when a system isexpanding, it does work against the pressure of the atmosphere, but when the atmosphere is working on the system, the work it has to do to compress the system is determined by the pressure in the system.
georg gill
The work in a system is given by

[tex]F\cdot\Delta h[/tex]

[tex]P\cdot A\cdot\Delta h[/tex]

[tex]P\cdot \Delta V[/tex]

when one calculate work one always uses pressure from surroundings. Why is it so. I get that work becomes linear then because p is constant but I thought that if one use Newtons third law that a system is standing still if forces are equal then work as a physical change would be done if p is larger in either system or surroundings. But if one look at force from system when p is larger in system why can't one use that to calculate work on surroundings?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a thermodynamics question?

OK, I though it might be about chemical thermodynamics.

Now we know where we are going.

Thermodynamics allows two kinds of work - reversible work and irreversible work.

Your book was describing reversible work, whilst your example was about irreversible work.

We can always calculate the reversible work but usually calculation of irreversible work presents difficulty.

Chemical reactions are usually carried out at atmospheric pressure, often in open reaction vessels.

This allows us to make the statement of constant pressure (of the atmosphere). Work on a gas at constant pressure is reversible work and can be expressed by the formula

w = pdV

Which is what your book says.

On the other hand the system will be solid and/or liquid and the work irreversible.

An expanding system at higher pressure than atmospheric and where the pressure is gradually changing with the expansion is not in equilibrium.

Reversible systems are equilibrium systems
Irreversible systems are non equilibrium systems.

Luckily we can say that the ( reversible) work done against the atmosphere = the (irreversible) work done by the expaning system.
So we can calculate the process work that way.

Last edited:
Studiot said:
Luckily we can say that the ( reversible) work done against the atmosphere = the (irreversible) work done by the expaning system.
So we can calculate the process work that way.

It is just so that there is one thing I find really confusing. When system is expanding it works against the pressure of atmosphere so it has to move on that so use of pressure of atmosphere would make sense for me to calculate work. But when atmosphere is working on system I would think that the work it has to do to compress system is determinded by pressure in system therefore it is less per unit of volume then if system is pressing on atmosphere. How come one can use same pressure for both cases?

And I don't seem to get why my attempt of given an example was an irreversible example?

FAQ: Calculating Work with Pressure in a System

1. What is work and how is it related to pressure in a system?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In a system, pressure is the force per unit area. Therefore, when calculating work in a system, pressure is multiplied by the change in volume or distance to determine the amount of work done.

2. How is pressure measured in a system?

Pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²). In some cases, it may also be measured in atmospheres (atm) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the formula for calculating work with pressure in a system?

The formula for calculating work with pressure in a system is W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure in the system, and ΔV is the change in volume or distance.

4. How does an increase in pressure affect the work done in a system?

An increase in pressure will result in an increase in the amount of work done in a system, assuming all other factors remain constant. This is because a higher pressure means a larger force is being applied to the object, resulting in a greater amount of work being done.

5. Can pressure be used to do work in a closed system?

Yes, pressure can be used to do work in a closed system. As pressure is applied to an object, it can cause the object to move and therefore do work. This is the principle behind many machines, such as hydraulic systems, that use pressure to perform work.

Back