Calculate T: Sum of Correlated Random Variables from i=1 to m

• Thread starter starblazzers
  • Start date
In summary: That means the next X_i will be the sum of X_1 + X_2 and so on. So
starblazzers
Hi all, I would like to get assistance on how to obtain the sum of correlated random variables

T = Ʃ Xi, from i=1 to m

where Xi are correlated rvs

Please help if you can!

Physics news on Phys.org

starblazzers said:
how to obtain the sum of correlated random variables

That doesn't make sense as a question. If you want the sum, you just take the sum.

Perhaps you are trying to ask something about the mean of the sum or the variance of the sum.

The expectation (i.e. mean) of a sum of random variables is equal to the sum of their means. It doesn't matter whether the random variables are correlated or not.

The variance of a sum of random variables is the sum of all the pairwise covariances, including each variable paired with itself (in which case, the variance of that variable is computed).

Let [itex] X_1, X_2,...X_n [/itex] be random variables.
Let [itex] S = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i [/itex]
Let the expectation of a random variable [itex] X [/itex] be denoted by [itex] E(X) [/itex]
Let the variance of a random variable [itex] X [/itex] be denoted by [itex] Var(X) [/itex]
Let the covariance of a random variable [itex] X [/itex] be denoted by [itex] Cov(X) [/itex]
(So [itex] Var(X) = Cov(X,X) [/itex] . )

Then
[itex] E(S) = \sum_{i=1}^n E(X_i) [/itex]

[itex] Var(S) = \sum_{i=1}^n ( \sum_{j=1}^n Cov(X_i,X_j) ) [/itex]

How would the mean E(S) and Var(S) be if n is also a random variable?

I don't know any simple formula that applies. There could be simple formulas in special cases. For example if the means of the [itex] X_i [/itex] are all the same and [itex] n [/itex] is independent of each of the [itex] X_i [/itex] then I think the mean of [itex] S [/itex] is given by the product: (the mean of [itex] n[/itex] ) (the mean of [itex]X_1[/itex] ).

As an example of a case where [itex] n [/itex] is dependent on the [itex] X_i [/itex], suppose the sum is formed according to the rule: Set the sum = [itex] X_1 [/itex] and then add another [itex] X_i [/itex] until you draw some [itex] X_i > 2.0 [/itex]. When that happens, stop summing.

Hello there,

Calculating the sum of correlated random variables can be a bit tricky, but here are the steps you can follow:

1. First, determine the correlation between each pair of random variables. This can be done by finding the covariance between each pair and dividing it by the product of their standard deviations.

2. Once you have the correlation between each pair, you can use the formula for the sum of correlated random variables:

T = Ʃ Xi + Ʃ Ʃ ρij * Xi * Xj

where ρij is the correlation between Xi and Xj.

3. You can then simplify the formula by factoring out the common random variables and only keeping the ones that are unique.

T = Ʃ Xi + Ʃ Ʃ ρij * Xi * Xj

= Ʃ Xi + Ʃ Xi * Ʃ ρij * Xj

4. Finally, you can calculate the sum by substituting in the values of the random variables and their correlations.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the formula for calculating T when given a set of correlated random variables?

The formula for calculating T, the sum of correlated random variables from i=1 to m, is T = ∑(Xi + ρi,j * Xj) where Xi and Xj are the random variables and ρi,j is the correlation coefficient between them. This formula is also known as the linear combination of random variables.

2. How do you interpret the correlation coefficient in the formula for T?

The correlation coefficient, ρi,j, measures the degree of linear relationship between two random variables. It ranges from -1 to 1, where a value of -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation, 0 indicates no correlation, and 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation.

3. Can T be negative if the random variables are positively correlated?

Yes, T can be negative even if the random variables are positively correlated. This can occur if the values of the random variables are relatively small and the correlation coefficient is high, resulting in a negative linear combination.

4. How does the sample size affect the calculation of T?

The sample size, m, affects the calculation of T by increasing the number of terms in the sum. As the sample size increases, the value of T becomes more precise and closer to the true value. However, if the sample size is too small, the calculated value of T may not accurately represent the true value.

5. Can T be used to determine causation between the random variables?

No, T cannot be used to determine causation between the random variables. The correlation coefficient only measures the strength of the linear relationship between the variables, not the cause and effect relationship. Other factors and variables may be involved in determining causation.