Tablesaw featherboard substitute

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, the conversation discusses the use of featherboards on a table saw and the limitations of using them on the out-feed side. The idea of a motorized device or an un-motorized contraption to hold the board against the fence is suggested and further discussed. The use of a top-mounted featherboard and its effectiveness is also mentioned.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Are there simple devices that can be used on a table saw and applied to the top of the board to hold it against the fence - thus replacing the function of featherboards ?

When ripping a board on a tablesaw, a featherboard is often used to hold the board against the fence. A limitation on featherboards is that they must be used on the in-feed side of the process because if they were placed against the edge of the board on the out-feed side they would press the two strips of wood that have been cut apart back together and pinch them onto the blade.

I can visualize a motorized device that presses a spinning wheel against the the top of the board and uses friction to push the board against the fence. That may be simple from the commercial point of view, but from the "home owner" point of view it would useful to have an un-motorized contraption. Do such designs exist?

When I visualize a un-motorized rubber wheel pressed on the board with its axle is at some angle to the plane of fence, I don't have an intuition about what it would do.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a top-mount featherboard?
fence_ext_w_featherboard_l.jpg

A top mounted feather board only presses the wood downwards, not against the fence.

Stephen Tashi said:
When I visualize a un-motorized rubber wheel pressed on the board with its axle is at some angle to the plane of fence, I don't have an intuition about what it would do.

Great question. I think it might work. If a car skids with the front wheels locked it can't steer, but if the wheels are allowed to rotate (even if under rotating) the car can be steered to some extent.

You might end up with marks on the wood?

I've used the motorized versions and your intuition is correct. They are at a small angle so that the wheels drive the board into the fence while at the same time push it into the blade.

I think an non motorized version would do the same. They don't mark up the board as far as I recall, they're made from a fairly soft rubber so that they grip.

Google table saw power feeder for some examples.

CWatters said:
A top mounted feather board only presses the wood downwards, not against the fence.
Ah. I missed the part about the wheel being angled.

1. What is a featherboard substitute for a tablesaw?

A featherboard substitute for a tablesaw is a safety device that helps to hold the workpiece against the fence and prevent it from being pulled back by the saw blade. It is typically made of wood or plastic and has flexible fingers that apply pressure on the workpiece to keep it in place.

2. Why would I need a featherboard substitute for my tablesaw?

A featherboard substitute is important for safety reasons. It helps to prevent kickback and keeps your hands away from the saw blade while cutting, reducing the risk of accidents. It also ensures more accurate and consistent cuts by keeping the workpiece in place.

3. Can I make my own featherboard substitute for my tablesaw?

Yes, you can make your own featherboard substitute using materials like wood, plastic, or even metal. There are many DIY tutorials and plans available online, but it is important to ensure that the substitute is sturdy and securely attached to the tablesaw for it to be effective.

4. How do I use a featherboard substitute with my tablesaw?

To use a featherboard substitute, you need to first attach it to the tablesaw fence or miter gauge using the provided hardware. Adjust the fingers to apply pressure on the workpiece against the fence, and then tighten the locking mechanism. Make sure the featherboard is securely in place before turning on the saw.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a featherboard substitute on a tablesaw?

Yes, there are other safety devices and techniques that can be used instead of a featherboard substitute. These include push sticks, push blocks, and using a riving knife on the tablesaw. However, a featherboard substitute is still considered one of the most effective and commonly used safety devices for tablesaws.