Tachyon Refraction: Can Massless Particles be Created?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of particles traveling at different speeds in a vacuum, including the concept of tachyons which can only travel faster than the speed of light. The question posed is what would happen if a tachyon is slowed down to the speed of light, and if it would create mass-less particles or violate the laws of physics. The conversation ends with a request for a reference to a model that predicts such a slow-down before further discussion can take place.
Mad scientist
This is pure conjecture but I was thinking about it and wanted to ask people who know more about tachyons than I do:

In a vacuum:

Particles with mass can only travel with v < c
Mass-less particles can only travel with v = c
Tachyons can only travel with v > c

If you refract light by passing it through a medium with a refractive index > 1 it slows down. I have heard of experiments where light is slowed to virtually a complete stand still, so my question is this:

What would happen if you can slow a tachyon down to the speed of light? Would it give up its energy and instantaneously create mass-less particles? Or does that violate the laws of physics? If it did could you use that result to detect tachyons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mad scientist said:
What would happen if you can slow a tachyon down to the speed of light?
Please give a reference to a model that predicts such a slow-down. All your questions can only be answered within such a model, there is nothing to discuss until you found such a reference. I closed the thread, feel free to send me a message if you want to discuss a specific tachyon model.

What is tachyon refraction?

Tachyon refraction is a theoretical phenomenon in which tachyons, hypothetical particles that always travel faster than the speed of light, are refracted or bent as they pass through a medium.

Can tachyons be created?

Currently, there is no evidence that tachyons exist, so they cannot be created. However, some theories suggest that they may be created in high-energy collisions, but this has not been proven.

Are tachyons massless particles?

Yes, according to the theory of tachyons, they are massless particles that always travel at the speed of light or faster.

How is tachyon refraction different from regular refraction?

Tachyon refraction is different from regular refraction because tachyons travel faster than the speed of light, while regular particles, such as light, travel at or below the speed of light. This means that tachyons would experience a different type of refraction than regular particles.

What is the importance of studying tachyon refraction?

Studying tachyon refraction could provide insights into the nature of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to new technological advancements, although this is purely theoretical at this point.