Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take a stroll on a brown dwarf

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

from the article:

Now I don't know about you, but to me "an order of magnitude" is at least roughly a factor of 10. That makes two of the statements in the above paragraph serious contradict each other.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Well the article cites an estimated surface temperature of 80 F, and an order of magnitude above that is 800 F which is if not instant incineration pretty close.

But in C that's only 23, which is much a smaller number so therefore an order of magnitude would be nigh-fatal but certainly not incineration. So maybe that is what the writer was thinking.

By no means should you ever land on a brown dwarf using kelvins, however.

;)

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

nonsense. The only possible way in which it makes any sense to "multiply" temperatures is to use absolute. Try the math on THAT for size.

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5
    Oh but that doesn't sound like any fun at all.

I like the 23 -> 230 explanation much better. And I seriously bet you that's what the article author was doing.

7. Aug 26, 2011 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which was exactly my point. When someone is that ignorant of the fundamentals, why would I trust him to report on ANYTHING scientific?

8. Aug 26, 2011 #7
    Instant summer and winter lol

9. Aug 26, 2011 #8
    Eh, as long as you ignore the details which might be wrong, you can still get the message. Star is cool enough to be on.

And the gravity would certainly be a problem, I vaguely remember reading it would be about one order of magnitude less than the sun, but don't quote me on that.

10. Aug 27, 2011 #9
    Why arguing over the news? Go directly to NASA source:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-263"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook