Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take Down Helicopter

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    Hello, Chitose wonder chick again.

To be hornest, I don't even sure this is a right place to post this question in engineer froum.

sorry for that

Here the question.

800px-Navy-hh1n-158256-070327-16cr-.jpg

This is a roter of helicopter right?

from what I think, this is weak sport of helicopter. I only saw it in movie and games but...

Is is possible to take down entire Helicopter by throw hard object into roter while is spining (flying)? Or even shoot it with gun?

Roter is design to lift up entire Helicopter, so it should be very strong right? that why I'm bit confuse here.

P.S. English is not my native language, forgive if I'm wrong in grama or spelling.

and move this post to right place if you see this is not place for asking these kind of question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    Hi Chitose,

Your observation about the helicopter being suspended by the rotor is correct. Note that the rotor hub you pictured is designed to withstand substantial forces on the order of several tons generated by the blades. Small arms fire would do almost nothing to the hub.

Side: Looks like a Huey rotor hub in your picture from the drag braces.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Taking an aircraft down with small arms fire is not impossible, but very unlikely. You need a very lucky shot and those would usually just make it a rough ride home. The push/pull tubes on the flybar are hollow so if you had a large enough round and had a one in a million shot, you could possibly make control tough.

Not that I advocate in any way to do this, but to take a helicopter down, you would be better off shooting at the pilot, the engine or the tail rotor.

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4
    I see, odinary gun can't do it, forget about throw rock at it - -'

what about Sniper rifle or armor piercing bullet? servel shot of military rifle are enough to break roter?

In my novel I try to make my heroine skillfull to take on helicopter by herself, so I ask to any trick can find.

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5
    Its a novel, it doesn't have to be realistic.

7. Jan 18, 2010 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In fiction there are all kinds of ways to take down a helicopter! Shoot the engine/fuel tank, lure it into a suspended wire, throw something into its rotors, etc. etc. Your readers won't be critically evaluating the feasability of your heronie's actions.

8. Jan 18, 2010 #7
    Throw kittens at it.

9. Jan 19, 2010 #8

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

fred garvin has it right...very rare that an ancient muzzle loader can take out a rotor or other mechanical part unless the pilot is having a very bad day....let alone a cross bow....

10. Jan 19, 2010 #9
    O.....kay... not much different from what I know, but thankyou anyway.

My novel is one of sci-fi kind, that's why I need some realistic explanation of almost every incident in it. (Even if it's just theory)

I post my another question in physic group.

11. Jan 19, 2010 #10
    If you're gonna do that, sabotage the air filters on the engines and throw in some copper fragments. They will liquefy enough to take out the Inconel fan blades and cause a chain reaction destroying the engine. I used to weld the darn things and hoooboy can they take a beating. Easily one of the toughest metals out there.
    Either that or an armor piercing incendiary round from from a .50 cal BMG put through the engine would do the trick. But all in all, targeting the rotors is not ideal, the power source is where it's at.

Most military helicopters are designed to take small arms fire so that's out of the question. You'll need anti-tank AP stuff.

12. Jan 19, 2010 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I doubt that kittens are dense enough to cause meaningful damage....perhaps jet engine manufacturers should use their chicken launchers to test their engines with a few kittens just to be sure though?

Anyway, I agree that since it is a novel, it doesn't have to be very realistic (and is usually better if it is somewhat creative/dramatic). So how 'bout an armor piercing .50 cal sniper bullet to crack the central hub, causing the centrifugal force to pull apart the rotor?

13. Jan 19, 2010 #12
    Luring a hapless helicopter into a tunnel has been a good trick. I saw it twice in some excellent movies.

14. Jan 20, 2010 #13
  15. Jan 20, 2010 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

We had sealing tanks that prevented that scenario. I guess the OP never said if it were a civilian or military helicopter.

Kittten cannon....check.

16. Jan 20, 2010 #15

minger

Science Advisor

17. Jan 20, 2010 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You throw the kitten at the pilot who is so distracted by it's cute antics that they crash.

18. Jan 20, 2010 #17

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Ha,,,lot of cat lovers on this forum...can't imagine chopper jock would be distracted by the kitten..pussy (cat) would turn his head tho!

19. Jan 20, 2010 #18
    kittens won't work well
    but wild barn cats, now we are on to something
    how'd you like to be in the cab after cat-a-pulting one inside
    it'd look like the tasmanian devil from a bugs bunny cartoon

dr

20. Jan 20, 2010 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Blasphemy!

21. Jan 20, 2010 #20
    If you're gonna use a meaty wild barn cat...it's gotta be thrown with a trebuchet of course. :P
    Catapults are far too instantaneous an acceleration...they will waggle all over the place in the air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook