Is Daily Shampooing and Showering Causing Hair Loss?

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, the conversation discusses possible causes of hairloss, including genetics, stress, medication, diet, and illness. It is normal for people to shed more hair at certain times of the year and to lose hair every day. Shampooing daily does not cause hair to grow at a slower rate. Stress can lead to hairloss, but it is usually temporary and the hair will grow back once the stress is gone. Shedding in the shower is just a way of removing loose hair, and is not necessarily a sign of hairloss.
Pseudo Statistic
Hey,
I thought I'd ask about this over here, since you guys are pretty knowledgeable...
I've heard a lot about possible causes for hairloss, e.g. putting shampoo on your hair every day or even hair gel.
Does anyone know of exactly what (other than genetics) could cause hairloss?
I've been told by people that putting shampoo in my hair everyday stops it from growing normally (i.e. it grows at a slower rate), is this true or false?
Also, every time I take a shower (everyday), I notice a lot of hair falls off my head; is this normal? I've been told my hair is pretty thick and I don't notice any loss...
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pseudo Statistic said:
Does anyone know of exactly what (other than genetics) could cause hairloss?
stress, medication, diet, illness

People do shed more at certain times of year and it's normal to lose hair every day.

I've been told by people that putting shampoo in my hair everyday stops it from growing normally (i.e. it grows at a slower rate), is this true or false?
False I hope you mean you're shampooing daily and not just putting soap on your head and leaving it. :tongue:

Yup, I do shampoo daily... and wash it off, ofcourse. :D
When you say stress, does any stress count? Like "OMFG EXAMS NEXT WEEK :O:O:O!" stress, or "I feel like I'm going to commit suicide." stress?

Pseudo Statistic said:
Yup, I do shampoo daily... and wash it off, ofcourse. :D
When you say stress, does any stress count? Like "OMFG EXAMS NEXT WEEK :O:O:O!" stress, or "I feel like I'm going to commit suicide." stress?

Both. Stress, among other things, increases your prolactin secretion. Most people know of this hormone as involved in lactation, but it also is a hormone involved in shedding in animals, and can lead to hair loss in people when elevated (it's the reason that luxurious hair women have during pregnancy all falls out so quickly when they are lactating).

Skin conditions of the scalp can also lead to hairloss, as can some other endocrine disorders. But, unless you're female and starting to go bald, the endocrine disorders aren't very common causes of hairloss to worry about.

You'll notice hair falling out more in the shower just because you're washing out the loose hairs all at once...you'd otherwise find them in the hairbrush or scattered all over the place.

If you've just noticed an increase in hair loss, and can't attribute it to any other reasons, and aren't noticeably balding, it's probably just the same reason the rest of us are "shedding" this time of year...we're losing our summer coats. :biggrin:

Ah, interesting...
Is stress hairloss permanent?

No, once the stress goes away, the hair will grow back. It's not much different than shedding in that respect. It shouldn't seem like it's falling out by the fistfuls or anything like that, more that your shower drain or hairbrush seems to have more hair in it than usual.

Evo said:
False I hope you mean you're shampooing daily and not just putting soap on your head and leaving it.:tongue:

:rofl:

Pseudo Statistic said:
Ah, interesting...
Is stress hairloss permanent?
Ya, if the stress is permanent!

Yes, its shedding season here too!

What are some common hair care mistakes?

Some common hair care mistakes include using hot tools too frequently, using harsh chemicals in hair products, over-washing hair, and using the wrong hair products for your hair type.

How often should I wash my hair?

The frequency of washing your hair depends on your hair type and personal preference. Generally, it is recommended to wash your hair 2-3 times a week to prevent stripping the hair of its natural oils.

How can I prevent hair damage?

To prevent hair damage, use heat protectant products before using hot tools, avoid tight hairstyles that can pull on the hair, use a wide-tooth comb when hair is wet, and use hair products specifically designed for your hair type.

What are some natural ways to promote hair growth?

Some natural ways to promote hair growth include maintaining a healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals, massaging the scalp to stimulate blood flow, and using essential oils such as rosemary or peppermint oil.

How important is a regular hair trimming schedule?

A regular hair trimming schedule is important for maintaining healthy hair. Trimming off split ends prevents them from traveling up the hair shaft and causing further damage. It is recommended to get a trim every 6-8 weeks.