1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking imaginary integral and derivative

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

when im solving quantum problem, i see an equation like e^(-kx) e^(icx) i is imaginary. how can i take the integral and derivative of this function

2. Relevant equations

e^ix ) cosx + isinx

3. The attempt at a solution

actually i tried e^x(-k+ic) and i said the derivative is just (-k+ic)* e^x(-k+ic) :)

please help and teach me!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2
    What you did is correct. You can treat complex constants as if they were real in differentiation and integration. However, I would recommend getting some introductory text on complex analysis and study it at least until differentiation and integration are introduced.

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
  5. Nov 17, 2012 #4
    That's because it is confused by the input. Note it treats "icx" as all caps CIX and assumes it is a constant.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5
    agh :) thank you very much i understand now :)

7. Nov 17, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wolfram seems to have treated the second x as some constant X. In fact, it looks suspiciously as though it has interpreted "icx" as Roman Numerals "CIX" (109). Bizarre.

8. Nov 17, 2012 #7
    yes it is very confusing im trying to find solution for 2 hours just because of that it is funny it takes my precious time :)

9. Nov 17, 2012 #8
    A space after i and before c does wonders. But the output is still a bit odd.

10. Nov 17, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, [itex]\ \ i(c+i k) e^{-k x+i c x}\ \ [/itex] is a bit odd, isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook