1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking the log of an exponential function and finding the slope

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    This is part of a differential equations group project problem where I solve a set of differential equations to obtain the solution to a function. The part that I am stuck at involves taking the log of an exponential function, though there may be a mistake on the book's part, but I'm not sure.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}T(t) = λ - δT(t) - βV(t)T(t)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}I(t) = βV(t)T(t) - μI(t)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}V(t) = NμI(t) - γV(t)[/itex]
    T represents population of uninfected T cells in units of cells.
    I represents population of infected T cells in units of cells.
    V represents population of virus in units of virions.
    λ is the rate of T cell production by the human body per day in units of 1/days
    δ is the rate constant of T cells naturally dying off per day in units of 1/days
    μ is the rate constant of Infected T cells dying off (bursting) per day resulting in the spread of virus in units of 1/days
    γ is the rate constant of virus decaying per day in units of 1/days
    N is the number of virus per cell in units of virions/cell
    β is the infection rate constant in units of 1/(days*virions)

The problem states to set β = 0, assuming there is a drug that completely removes infection of T cells, allowing me to solve by 1st order linear differential equation methods to get V(t):
    [itex]V(t) = \frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt} + (V_0 - \frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ})e^{-γt}[/itex]
    with initial conditions
    [itex]V(0) = V_0 \text{ and } I(0) = I_0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taking the log of V(t) and then taking the derivative, I get:
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}log[V(t)] = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{ln[V(t)]}{ln(10)} = \frac{1}{ln(10)V(t)}\frac{d}{dt}V(t)[/itex]
    and
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}V(t) = \frac{-Nμ^2I_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt} - γ(V_0 - \frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ})e^{-γt}[/itex]

Assuming μ is smaller than γ, the term containing [itex]e^{-γt}[/itex] should go to 0 when t is large, leaving us with:
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}log[V(t)] = \frac{V'(t)}{ln(10)V(t)} = \frac{\frac{-Nμ^2I_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt}}{ln(10)\frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt}} = \frac{-μ}{ln(10)} \text{for large t}[/itex]

The problem is the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{ln(10)}[/itex] causing the slope of the log graph to be inconsistent with what the problem statement claims it should be: -μ.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

When doing calculus, "log" means "natural logarithm".

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    While that would get rid of the 1/ln10 factor, I doubt I could make that assumption in this case because for one this book does use ln notation, and there are graphs for this problem that depicts virus amount in a log base 10 scale (where it goes from 1 to 10 to 100 to... 10^n... every major gridline). The problem even states to determine μ based on the slope of those graphs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted