Taking the square of a formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of expressions involving a squared term and a negative exponent, and the discrepancy in results when integrating a certain function within a specific range. The conclusion is reached that the issue may lie in taking the square root of a squared term, and it is clarified that the absolute value of the term should be used instead.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

Hi sorry if the titel is wrong

I want to know if i can write this

##a^2 + u^2 -2au= (a-u)^2 = (u-a)^2##
I get different results when integrating ##x^{-\frac{3}{2}}## in the range ##(a-u)^2## to ##(a+u)^2##

Physics news on Phys.org
Pual Black said:

Homework Statement

Hi sorry if the titel is wrong

I want to know if i can write this

##a^2 + u^2 -2au= (a-u)^2 = (u-a)^2##
Yes, these expressions are all equal.
Pual Black said:
I get different results when integrating ##x^{-\frac{3}{2}}## in the range ##(a-u)^2## to ##(a+u)^2##
It would be helpful to see your work.

Likes Pual Black
I've uploaded my work as images.
Sorry for not using LaTex but I am on mobile phone.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 384
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 382
Pual Black said:
I've uploaded my work as images.
Sorry for not using LaTex but I am on mobile phone.
I think the problem might be from taking the square root of (a - u)2. It's not necessarily equal to a - u. What is true is that ##\sqrt{(a - u)^2} = |a - u|## which in turn is equal to ##|u - a|##.

Likes Pual Black
Ok i got it.
Thank you for your help

1. What does it mean to take the square of a formula?

Taking the square of a formula means to raise the entire formula to the power of two. This is also known as squaring a formula.

2. How do you take the square of a formula?

To take the square of a formula, you simply need to multiply the formula by itself. This can also be written as raising the formula to the power of two.

3. What is the purpose of taking the square of a formula?

Taking the square of a formula is often used in mathematical calculations and equations. It can also be used to simplify and solve equations.

4. Can you take the square of any formula?

Yes, you can take the square of any formula as long as it is a valid mathematical expression. However, the resulting value may not always be a real number.

5. How is taking the square of a formula different from finding the square root?

While taking the square of a formula involves raising the formula to the power of two, finding the square root is the opposite process. It involves finding the number that, when squared, gives the original formula. In other words, taking the square root "undoes" taking the square of a formula.