Can anyone tell me what is tan 50 in fractions?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of tan 50 in fractions, with the assumption that "50" is in degrees. The recommended approach involves using trigonometric identities and formulas, such as the half-angle formula and the summation formula for cosine. It is also mentioned that it is possible to construct a 50 degree angle using only a compass and scale.
benzun_1999
Hi
can anyone tell me what is tan 50 in fractions?
-benzun

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's 50?
Radians or degrees?

I'll assume that "50" is in degrees:
What you need is basically an expression for [tex]\cos(20)[/tex] , all the rest follow from this:

1. [tex]\cos(60)=\cos(3*20)=4\cos^{3}20-3\cos(20)[/tex]
by simple trigonometric identities.
Hence, setting [tex]y=\cos(20)[/tex] you find the required value by solving for y in the equation:
[tex]4y^{3}-3y=\frac{1}{2}[/tex] since [tex]\cos(60)=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
You need therefore the formula for roots of 3.degree polynomials.

2. [tex]\cos(10)=\frac{1+y}{2}[/tex] by the half-angle formula.

3. [tex]\cos(50)=\cos(60)\cos(10)+\sin(60)\sqrt{1-\cos^{2}(10)}[/tex]
by the summation formula for cosine.

4. By noting [tex]\sin(50)=\sqrt{1-\cos^{2}(50)}[/tex] you may find your expression for tan(50)

sorry,
i ment degrees only
Thanks
Is it possible to construct 50 degrees with a compas and scale only?
-benzun

benzun_1999 said:
Is it possible to construct 50 degrees with a compas and scale only?
-benzun

See
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ConstructibleAnglesWithIntegerValuesInDegrees.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is tan 50 in fractions?

Tan 50 in fractions is approximately 1.191753.

2. How do you find tan 50 in fractions?

To find tan 50 in fractions, you can use a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table. Alternatively, you can use the formula tan x = sin x / cos x, where x is the angle in degrees.

3. Why is tan 50 expressed in fractions?

Tan 50 is typically expressed in fractions because it is a more precise representation of the value compared to using decimal numbers. Fractions also allow for easier calculation and comparison with other trigonometric ratios.

4. What is the significance of tan 50 in fractions in science?

Tan 50 in fractions is commonly used in science, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering, to calculate angles and solve problems involving triangles and circular motion.

5. Can you simplify tan 50 in fractions?

Yes, tan 50 can be simplified to 10/9 or 5/6. These are equivalent fractions that represent the same value as 1.191753. Simplifying can make calculations easier and provide a more intuitive understanding of the value.