How do dual vectors and tangent bases relate in coordinate functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation dxμ∂ν = ∂xμ/∂xν = δμν and the relationship between dxμ and ∂ν. It is mentioned that dual vectors 'eat' vectors to produce scalars and that this can be demonstrated by absorbing d into ∂. The result is general and does not require a metric to be well defined. It is also noted that in the Euclidean case, the bases used are not necessarily orthonormal, but the equation still holds. The conversation concludes with the understanding of the equation.
nigelscott
I am trying to figure how one arrives at the following:

dxμν = ∂xμ/∂xν = δμν

Where,

dxμ is the gradient of the coordinate functions = basis of cotangent space

ν = basis of tangent space

I know that dual vectors 'eat' vectors to produce scalars. Is this demonstrated by absorbing d into ∂ so that dxμ ≡ ∂νxμ or is such an operation illegal?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think those equations only hold if the coordinate system is orthonormal. The more general result would be that those expressions are equal to
$$\mathbf g(\partial_\mu,\partial_\nu)=g_{\mu\nu}$$
As regards proving the result, it depends on where one starts, in particular, how one defines ##\partial_\nu## and dxμ. Several different approaches are possible. The nature of the proof would depend on the nature of the definition. For some definitions, the result may even be part of the definition so that no proof is required.

By definition of the differential ##df##, it holds that
$$
df(\dot\gamma) = \frac{df}{ds}
$$
where ##\dot\gamma## is the tangent vector of a curve ##\gamma## parametrised by ##s##. In a coordinate system representation, this expression can be rewritten
$$
df(\dot x^\mu \partial_\mu) = \dot x^\mu df(\partial_\mu) = \frac{df}{ds} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^\mu} \frac{dx^\mu}{ds}
$$
using the linear property of a dual vector and the chain rule, respectively. This is satisfied for all tangent vectors if and only if
$$
df(\partial_\mu) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^\mu}.
$$
If you let ##f## be your coordinate function ##x^\nu##, you now obtain
$$
dx^\nu(\partial_\nu) = \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial x^\mu} = \delta^\nu_\mu.
$$

andrewkirk said:
I think those equations only hold if the coordinate system is orthonormal.
No, the result is completely general and an effect of how the differential is defined. I would not call ##g(\partial_\mu,\partial_\nu) = g_{\mu\nu}## a result as much as the definition of the components ##g_{\mu\nu}##. In contrast, the result above is general and does not even require a metric to be well defined (the natural product is between tangent vector and dual vectors, the metric is necessary only to define a product between vectors of the same type).

I find that it sometimes helps to go back to the Euclidean case. In the Euclidean case you can define two bases ##\vec E^\mu = \partial \vec x/\partial x^\mu## and ##\vec E_\mu = \nabla x^\mu##, respectively. These are the equivalents of ##\partial_\mu## and ##dx^\mu##, respectively (heuristically, essentially just remove the position vector). Each of these sets of vectors will generally not be orthonormal among themselves (in curvilinear coordinates), however it will still hold that
$$
\vec E^\nu\cdot \vec E_\mu = \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial y^i} \vec e_i \cdot \vec e_j \frac{\partial y^j}{\partial x^\mu} = \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial y^i} \frac{\partial y^i}{\partial x^\mu} = \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial x^\mu} = \delta^\nu_\mu,
$$
where ##\vec E^\nu## and ##\vec E_\mu## have been written down in component form in a Cartesian coordinate system ##y^i##.

Thank you. Now I understand.

Likes Orodruin

1. What is a Tangent Basis?

A tangent basis is a set of three linearly independent vectors that span the tangent space of a surface or curve at a specific point. These vectors are used to represent the orientation and direction of the surface or curve at that point.

2. How is a Tangent Basis calculated?

A tangent basis is typically calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the surface or curve equations with respect to the u and v parameters, and then normalizing the resulting vectors. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface or curve.

3. What is a Cotangent Basis?

A cotangent basis is a set of three linearly independent vectors that span the cotangent space of a surface or curve at a specific point. These vectors are used to represent the orientation and direction of the surface or curve's normal at that point.

4. How is a Cotangent Basis related to a Tangent Basis?

The cotangent basis is related to the tangent basis through the use of the surface or curve's normal vector. The cotangent basis vectors are perpendicular to the tangent basis vectors, and together they form an orthonormal basis for the surface or curve's tangent and cotangent spaces.

5. What are some applications of Tangent and Cotangent Bases?

Tangent and cotangent bases are commonly used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to represent the orientation and surface properties of objects. They are also used in differential geometry and physics to calculate surface curvature and other physical properties of surfaces and curves.