1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line approximations with trig. functions

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    Find the equations of the tangent lines to the graph of [tex] f(x) = \sin x [/tex] at [tex] x = 0[/tex] and at [tex] x = \frac{ \pi }{3}[/tex]. Use each tangent line to approximate [tex] \sin( \frac{ \pi }{6} ) [/tex]. Would you expect these results to be equally accurate, since they are taken equally far away from [tex] x = \frac{ \pi }{6} [/tex] but on opposite sides? If the accuracy is different, can you account for the difference?

Here are my attempts:
    Well, first let's find the equations of the tangent lines.
    [tex] f(0) = \sin (0) = 0[/tex]
    [tex] f(\frac{ \pi }{3}) = \sin( \frac{ \pi }{3}) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex]

[tex] f'(x) = \cos (x) [/tex]
    [tex] f'(0) = \cos (0) = 1 [/tex]
    [tex] f'(\frac{ \pi }{3}) = \cos( \frac{ \pi }{3}) = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

So we have (0,0), m = 1.
    y = x <---- tangent line at x = 0.

And we have [tex] (\frac{ \pi }{3} , \frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2}) , m = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]
    [tex]y = \frac{1}{2} x + \frac{3\sqrt{3} - \pi}{6} [/tex] <---- tangent line at [tex] x = \frac{ \pi }{3} [/tex]

Now we'll use the tangent lines to approximate [tex] \sin( \frac{ \pi }{6})[/tex].
    Using y = x.
    [tex]y(\frac{ \pi }{6}) = \frac{ \pi }{6} \approx 0.5236[/tex]

Using [tex] y = \frac{1}{2} x + \frac{3\sqrt{3} - \pi}{6} [/tex]
    [tex]y(\frac{ \pi }{6}) = \frac{ \sqrt{3} }{2} - \frac{ \pi }{12} \approx 0.6042 [/tex]

They are obviously different. I don't know why they are different though.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    [tex] L(x) = f(a) +f'(a)(x-a) [/tex]. Think about the graph of the sine function. The linear approximation of [tex] \sin x [/tex] at [tex] a = 0 [/tex] is [tex] \sin x \approx x [/tex]. Also the tangent line approximations are taken from opposite sides of [tex] \sin \frac{\pi}{6} [/tex]. So, its similar to the squeeze theorem. One approximation will overestimate the true value, and another approximation will underestimate the true value.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    well, the thing that bothers me, is you said that one approximation should be an underestimate and one should be an overestimate.

the true value of [tex] \sin( \frac{ \pi }{6}) = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

1/2 is not between our two approximations.

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    ah yes my mistake. I think the key reason is the difference between the areas of approximation (i.e. 0 and [tex] \frac{\pi}{6} [/tex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?