Tangent lines and natural logs homework help.

In summary: That's fine. The equation of a line with slope m and passing through the point (a, b) is y- b= m(x- a).
chris40256

Homework Statement

1. Let f be the function defined by f(x) = -2 + ln(x^2).
a) For what real numbers x is f defined
b) Find the zeros of f
c) Write an equation for the line tangent to the graph of f at x=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) all positive reals except 0 ( i believe)
b) Teacher let's us use calculator so : 2.718 , -2.718 (no hurt in checking that)
c)at x = 1 , y = -2
Finding slope/derivative:
0+ (1/x^2)(2x)
2x/(x^2)
plug 1 in for the slope: 2(1) / (1)^2
m= 2
Equation: y+2 = 2(x-1) (i believe its correct but I'm not sure)

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Should be correct as it is given in that form of ln(x^2)
b) -2 +ln(x^2)=0
ln(x^2)=2
x^2=e^2

I think you forgot to take the sq. root after

c) Correct

chris40256 said:

Homework Statement

1. Let f be the function defined by f(x) = -2 + ln(x^2).
a) For what real numbers x is f defined
b) Find the zeros of f
c) Write an equation for the line tangent to the graph of f at x=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) all positive reals except 0 ( i believe)
b) Teacher let's us use calculator so : 2.718 , -2.718 (no hurt in checking that)
Being allowed to use a calculator doesn't mean you are required to! No, 2.718 and -2.718 are NOT zeros of f. e and -e are. Do you understand the difference?
Oh, and whether your teacher requires it or not you should always show HOW you solve a problem, not just give the answer.

c)at x = 1 , y = -2
Finding slope/derivative:
0+ (1/x^2)(2x)
2x/(x^2)
plug 1 in for the slope: 2(1) / (1)^2
Are you serious? You actually put x= 1 into 2x/x^2? 2x/x^2= 2/x obviously. In fact, the whole problem is simpler if you write f(x)= -2+ ln(x^2)= -2+ 2ln(x). Then f' (x)= 2/x.
m= 2
Equation: y+2 = 2(x-1) (i believe its correct but I'm not sure)

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point, known as the point of tangency. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line can be found using the derivative of the function at the point of tangency. The derivative is the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

3. What is the relationship between tangent lines and natural logarithms?

The natural logarithm of a number is the power to which the base e must be raised to obtain that number. The slope of the tangent line to the natural logarithm function at a specific point is equal to the reciprocal of that point.

4. How do you use tangent lines to find the maximum or minimum points of a function?

The point where the tangent line is horizontal (slope = 0) represents a maximum or minimum point of the function. This is because the tangent line is parallel to the x-axis, indicating no change in the function's value.

5. Can you explain the concept of concavity in relation to tangent lines and natural logarithms?

Concavity refers to the curvature of a function. The second derivative of a function can be used to determine the concavity of the function at a specific point. When the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up and the tangent line is below the curve. When the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down and the tangent line is above the curve.