Tangent Lines of Two Circles Intersect At Point

In summary, the two circles with equations x^2 + (y-3)^2 =5 and (x-2)^2 + (y+3)^2 = 2 have their tangent lines intersect at point (11/3,2/3). To find the points where each tangent line touches its respective circle, one can use the slope-intercept equation of a line and plug in the derivative equations of the circles to get the equations of two additional circles. These circles can then be solved for their intersections with the original circles to find the points of tangency.
VectorCereal

Homework Statement

The tangent lines of two circles intersect at point (11/3,2/3). What are the two points that each tangent line touches on its respective circle?

Homework Equations

Circle 1: x^2 + (y-3)^2 =5
Circle 2: (x-2)^2 + (y+3)^2 = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivatives of each circle.

Circle 1: y'(x) = -(x)/(y-3)
Circle 2: y'(x) = (2-x)/(y+5)

Do I have to use the slope-intercept equation somehow? y-yo=m(x-xo)

I'm not quite sure what do to next... :S

Physics news on Phys.org
help anyone??

VectorCereal said:

Homework Statement

The tangent lines of two circles intersect at point (11/3,2/3). What are the two points that each tangent line touches on its respective circle?

Homework Equations

Circle 1: x^2 + (y-3)^2 =5
Circle 2: (x-2)^2 + (y+3)^2 = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivatives of each circle.

Circle 1: y'(x) = -(x)/(y-3)
Circle 2: y'(x) = (2-x)/(y+5)

Do I have to use the slope-intercept equation somehow? y-yo=m(x-xo)

I'm not quite sure what do to next... :S
Hello VectorCereal. Welcome to PF !

Yes, using the slope intercept equation of a line can be helpful. In this case, (x0, y0) = (11/3, 2/3) .

Also, it looks to me like the problem can be solved for either circle independently of the other circle.

For Circle 1:

If you plug y'(x) = -(x)/(y-3) in for m in the slope intercept equation, you get the equation of another circle. See where this circle intersects with Circle 1.

Check your answer, because this seems like a weird method of solution !

1. What is the equation for finding the point of intersection between two circles?

The equation for finding the point of intersection between two circles is obtained by solving the system of equations formed by the two circle equations.

2. How many solutions are possible for the point of intersection between two circles?

There can be a maximum of two solutions for the point of intersection between two circles. These solutions can either be real or complex.

3. What does it mean if the two circles do not intersect?

If the two circles do not intersect, it means that they are either completely separate from each other or they are tangent at a point.

4. Can two circles intersect at more than one point?

No, two circles can only intersect at a maximum of two points. This is because a circle can only have one center and one radius, therefore it can only intersect with another circle at two points.

5. How do I find the tangent line of two circles at the point of intersection?

To find the tangent line of two circles at the point of intersection, you can use the formula for finding the slope of a tangent line at a given point. This involves finding the derivative of the circle equation at the point of intersection and using it to find the slope.