Tangent, Normal, Binormal, Curvature, Torsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding multiple components, including torsion, given the equation r(t)=(cos^{3}t)\vec{i} + (sin^{3}t)\vec{j}. The speaker expresses that this is a lot of work and wonders if they are missing something that could make it easier. They mention finding the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors, and now need to find the torsion using a lengthy equation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check out an alternative description of torsion that may offer some help.
Mindscrape
Okay, so I was asked to find all the things listed in the topic title given the equation:
[tex]r(t)=(cos^{3}t)\vec{i} + (sin^{3}t)\vec{j}[/tex]

Now this is a lot of work, especially when it comes to finding the torsion [tex] \tau = - \frac{d \vec{B}}{ds} \cdot \vec{N}[/tex] a total of four derivitives. Maybe I am missing something about how these all relate, and I could somehow get around all the work. I would put up my work so far, but that would take a really long time.

Basically, what I have done is find the tangent vector, so v/mag(v); the normal vector, derivative(tangent)/mag(tangent); the binormal, TxN; and now I got to Torsion (d(binormal)/dt)/mag(v) dot N. Torsion looks like it will be a long equation with my method.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is the definition of tangent?

In mathematics, the tangent line to a curve at a given point is the straight line that "just touches" the curve at that point.

What is the normal vector?

In mathematics, the normal vector to a curve at a given point is a vector that is perpendicular to the tangent line at that point.

What is the binormal vector?

In mathematics, the binormal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to both the tangent and normal vectors of a curve at a given point.

What is curvature?

In mathematics, curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is defined as the rate of change of the tangent angle as we move along the curve.

What is torsion?

In mathematics, torsion is a measure of how much a curve twists or "spirals" around a certain axis. It is defined as the rate of change of the binormal vector as we move along the curve.