1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent planes passing through coordinates origin.

1. May 2, 2006 #1
    The problem from Differential Geometry:

Let [tex]\gamma : R -> R[/tex] is smooth function and [tex]U = {(x,y,z) \in R^3 : x \ne 0}[/tex] - open subset.
    Function [tex]f : U -> R[/tex] is defined as [tex]f(x,y,z) = z - x\gamma(y/x)[/tex] and this is smooth function.
    Proof that for surface[tex]S = f^{-1}(0)[/tex] all tangent planes passing through coordinates origin.

Can anyone give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean to say:

"Prove that for the surface f-1(0), all tangent planes pass through the origin"

What have you tried so far? What definitions are you working with? I defined a set V = {(x,y) in R² : x not equal to 0}. Then I found a smooth regular surface patch [itex]\sigma : V \to \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] such that [itex]\sigma (V) = f^{-1}(0)[/itex]. Writing it this way, I found it easy to find the tangent planes to the surface, and then easily showed that each of those tangent planes pass through the origin.

4. May 2, 2006 #3
    Yes, exactly - "Prove that for the surface f-1(0), all tangent planes pass through the origin".

I have found tangent planes for this surface, but how to show that they are passing through the origin? I need to show, that these planes are defined in (0,0,0)? or something else?

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  5. May 2, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A plane is just a set of points. Show that for each tangent plane, (0,0,0) is in that plane, i.e. (0,0,0) is in that set of points. For example, the point (1,0,y(0)) [I'm writing y instead of gamma] is in the surface. The tangent plane at this point is the plane:

{a(1,0,y(0)) + b(0,1,y'(0)) + (1,0,y(0)) : a, b in R}

I need to show that the origin (0,0,0) is in this plane, i.e. that there exist real a and b such that:

a(1,0,y(0)) + b(0,1,y'(0)) + (1,0,y(0)) = (0,0,0)

But that's easy:

a=-1, b=0.

Is there any part of this you didn't understand?

6. May 3, 2006 #5
    Thanks for support. I think now I can catch what is going on. I was little bit confused :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?