Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tangents to parabola

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given the parabola [tex]y=\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

I need to find the equations of the 2 tangents to the parabola that pass through the point A(5,-2)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]y-y_{1}=m(x-x_{1})[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    therefore: tangents pass through the points [tex]P(p,\frac{p^{2}}{2})[/tex] and [tex]Q(q,\frac{q^{2}}{2})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I began to check if the given point was outside the parabola
    i.e. [tex]y_{1}<\frac{x^{2}_{1}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]-2<\frac{5}{2}[/tex] therefore, the point lies outside the parabola and there are 2 lines that will pass through the point, and are a tangent to the parabola.

[tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] where there are 2 values of m, each intersecting the parabola only once. i.e. tangent to parabola.

From here I am totally stumped. I can't use the 1st derivative as I don't know the x value for which the gradient will pass through the point.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    This means that your equation of your line must pass through two given points.

(5, -2) is one of them, so your equation [tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] is a good place to start.

First, what is m? Remember, m is your slope...

Once you got that, now where does that second point have to be? If the line is tangent to the parabola with equation [tex] y=\frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]...

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You want to find (x, y) such that y= m(x- 5)- 2 and y'(x)= m. You should certainly be able to find the derivative of y in terms of x. Putting that in for y' gives three equations for x, y, and m. this will, of course, reduce to a quadratic equation so you can expect two solutions: two tangents.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thank you, I managed to solve it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook