Find Tangents to Parabola Passing Through Point A (5,-2)

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the homework statement asks for the equations of the two tangents that pass through the point A(5,-2). The first tangent y-y_{1}=m(x-x_{1}) is found by checking if the given point is outside the parabola. Since it's not, the first tangent y+2=m(x-5) is found and it intersects the parabola at (x, y)=-5 and (x', y')=2. The second tangent is found by solving for y' in terms of x and y. This gives y'=m(x-5)+2 and y=m(x-5)-2.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I am given the parabola [tex]y=\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

I need to find the equations of the 2 tangents to the parabola that pass through the point A(5,-2)

Homework Equations

[tex]y-y_{1}=m(x-x_{1})[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
therefore: tangents pass through the points [tex]P(p,\frac{p^{2}}{2})[/tex] and [tex]Q(q,\frac{q^{2}}{2})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I began to check if the given point was outside the parabola
i.e. [tex]y_{1}<\frac{x^{2}_{1}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]-2<\frac{5}{2}[/tex] therefore, the point lies outside the parabola and there are 2 lines that will pass through the point, and are a tangent to the parabola.

[tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] where there are 2 values of m, each intersecting the parabola only once. i.e. tangent to parabola.

From here I am totally stumped. I can't use the 1st derivative as I don't know the x value for which the gradient will pass through the point.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I need to find the equations of the 2 tangents to the parabola that pass through the point A(5,-2)

This means that your equation of your line must pass through two given points.

(5, -2) is one of them, so your equation [tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] is a good place to start.

First, what is m? Remember, m is your slope...

Once you got that, now where does that second point have to be? If the line is tangent to the parabola with equation [tex] y=\frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]...

You want to find (x, y) such that y= m(x- 5)- 2 and y'(x)= m. You should certainly be able to find the derivative of y in terms of x. Putting that in for y' gives three equations for x, y, and m. this will, of course, reduce to a quadratic equation so you can expect two solutions: two tangents.

Thank you, I managed to solve it.

Last edited:

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function. It is a symmetrical curve that either opens upwards or downwards, depending on the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

2. How do I find the equation of a parabola?

The general equation of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c. To find the equation, you need to have three points on the parabola or the coordinates of the vertex and one other point. You can then plug in these values into the equation and solve for a, b, and c.

3. What does it mean to find tangents to a parabola passing through a point?

Finding tangents to a parabola passing through a point means finding the lines that touch the parabola at only one point, which is the given point. These lines are perpendicular to the curve at that point and have the same slope as the parabola at that point.

4. What is the process for finding tangents to a parabola passing through a point?

To find tangents to a parabola passing through a point, you will need to use the point-slope form of a line. First, substitute the coordinates of the given point into the point-slope form, which will give you the slope of the tangent line. Next, find the derivative of the parabola at that point and substitute the x-coordinate into it. This will give you the slope of the parabola at that point. Finally, set these two slopes equal to each other and solve for the x-value. This is the point where the tangent line intersects the parabola, and you can use this point and the slope of the tangent line to write the equation of the tangent.

5. Can you provide an example of finding tangents to a parabola passing through a point?

Sure, let's say we have the parabola y = x^2 and the point A(5, -2). First, we find the derivative of the parabola, which is y' = 2x. Then, we substitute x=5 into the derivative, giving us a slope of 10. Next, we use the point-slope form with the coordinates of point A, giving us the equation y+2 = 10(x-5). Simplifying this, we get y = 10x - 52, which is the equation of the tangent line to the parabola passing through point A.