1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangents to parabola

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given the parabola [tex]y=\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

I need to find the equations of the 2 tangents to the parabola that pass through the point A(5,-2)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]a = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    therefore: tangents pass through the points [tex]P(p,\frac{p^{2}}{2})[/tex] and [tex]Q(q,\frac{q^{2}}{2})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I began to check if the given point was outside the parabola
    i.e. [tex]y_{1}<\frac{x^{2}_{1}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]-2<\frac{5}{2}[/tex] therefore, the point lies outside the parabola and there are 2 lines that will pass through the point, and are a tangent to the parabola.

[tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] where there are 2 values of m, each intersecting the parabola only once. i.e. tangent to parabola.

From here I am totally stumped. I can't use the 1st derivative as I don't know the x value for which the gradient will pass through the point.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    This means that your equation of your line must pass through two given points.

(5, -2) is one of them, so your equation [tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] is a good place to start.

First, what is m? Remember, m is your slope...

Once you got that, now where does that second point have to be? If the line is tangent to the parabola with equation [tex] y=\frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]...
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want to find (x, y) such that y= m(x- 5)- 2 and y'(x)= m. You should certainly be able to find the derivative of y in terms of x. Putting that in for y' gives three equations for x, y, and m. this will, of course, reduce to a quadratic equation so you can expect two solutions: two tangents.
  5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Thank you, I managed to solve it.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?