Tank depressurization through a valve

In summary, the conversation is about studying the temperature evolution of a gas in a vessel from 200 bar to 20 bar, assuming isentropic expansion. The heat exchange between the wall and the gas is discussed, with the suggestion that if the expansion is isentropic, there would be no heat transfer between the gas and surroundings. The concept of adiabatic expansion and the first law of thermodynamics are also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing the temperature evolution when the gas from the vessel flows through a valve into a pipe at atmospheric pressure. It is determined that there would be a decrease in internal kinetic energy and therefore a decrease in temperature.
hybro
Hello guys,

I want to study the temperature evolution of a gas in a vessel from 200 bar to 20 bar. I made the assumption the expansion is isentropic. However I have some trouble to represent the heat exchange between the wall and the gas. I used the energy conservation (transfer from a fluid to another through a wall) but I don't know if it's clearly what I need to use. Can someone help me to define the heat transfer? I found a topic talking about This but nothing was explain.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221054&highlight=isentropic+isenthalpic

Another question, when the gas from the vessel at 200 bar flows through a valve and the circuit is at the atmospheric pressure, is there a temperature evolution? I don't think so but if We use the relation PV = nRT the circuit pressure rise so the temperature rise too.

Thanks for your help.

Hybro

Physics news on Phys.org
hybro said:
Hello guys,

I want to study the temperature evolution of a gas in a vessel from 200 bar to 20 bar. I made the assumption the expansion is isentropic. However I have some trouble to represent the heat exchange between the wall and the gas. I used the energy conservation (transfer from a fluid to another through a wall) but I don't know if it's clearly what I need to use. Can someone help me to define the heat transfer? I found a topic talking about This but nothing was explain.
If it is isentropic (ΔS = 0) it will have to be adiabatic. In that case there is no heat transfer between the gas and the surroundings.

If the gas expands adiabatically in a cylinder against a piston, for example, the gas does work on the surroundings. So apply the first law: Q = ΔU + W where W is the work done BY the gas, since Q=0 (adiabatic) you have ΔU = - W

Another question, when the gas from the vessel at 200 bar flows through a valve and the circuit is at the atmospheric pressure, is there a temperature evolution? I don't think so but if We use the relation PV = nRT the circuit pressure rise so the temperature rise too.
You will have to explain this a little better. What is the "circuit" and what do you mean by temperature evolution - just a temperature change? Are you talking about an ideal gas? Are you talking about the gas in the vessel adding to the gas in the circuit? Is the volume of the circuit fixed? If so, does n (number of moles of gas in the circuit) not increase?

AM

Thanks for your post.

Yes exactly I am talking about a real gas. I have a valve between a pipe and the vessel. The gas flows from the vessel to the pipe from an initial pressure of 200 bar. The pipe is at atmospheric pressure and ambiant temperature with air composition. I want to know if there is an increase of the gas temperature at the outlet of the valve since the gas is flowing in a pipe of a fixed volume. The pressure drop due to the valve is really low, less than 1 bar.

Thanks for your help.

Hybro

It's not clear what you mean by 'a pipe of fixed volume'. The pipe will be of fixed volume only if one end is blocked by a closed valve or some other obstruction. If there is no obstruction, the gas will flow through the pipe on its way out of the other end.

hybro said:
Thanks for your post.

Yes exactly I am talking about a real gas. I have a valve between a pipe and the vessel. The gas flows from the vessel to the pipe from an initial pressure of 200 bar. The pipe is at atmospheric pressure and ambiant temperature with air composition. I want to know if there is an increase of the gas temperature at the outlet of the valve since the gas is flowing in a pipe of a fixed volume. The pressure drop due to the valve is really low, less than 1 bar.

Thanks for your help.

Hybro
Welcome to PF, by the way!

Applying the first law: Q = ΔU + W, since there is no work done on the surroundings and no heat flow into the gas, (Q = W = 0) there is no change in internal energy. Since it is a real gas (which I take to mean that there are material attractive intermolecular forces) the increase in internal intermolecular potential energy comes at the expense of the internal kinetic energy of the gas molecules. So temperature would decrease.

AM

1. What is tank depressurization?

Tank depressurization is the process of reducing the pressure within a tank by releasing the gas or liquid contents through a valve. This is commonly done to safely empty or control the pressure in a tank.

2. Why is depressurization necessary?

Depressurization is necessary to prevent over-pressurization of a tank, which can lead to dangerous and potentially explosive situations. It is also used to safely empty tanks for maintenance or cleaning purposes.

3. How does a valve control the depressurization process?

A valve is a mechanical device that can be opened or closed to control the flow of gas or liquid. In the case of tank depressurization, the valve is opened to release the pressure within the tank, and closed once the desired pressure has been reached.

4. What factors should be considered when depressurizing a tank through a valve?

Some factors to consider when depressurizing a tank through a valve include the type and size of the tank, the type of gas or liquid being released, the desired rate of depressurization, and the safety precautions necessary to prevent accidents.

5. Are there any risks associated with tank depressurization through a valve?

Yes, there are some risks associated with tank depressurization through a valve, such as the potential for leaks or ruptures in the tank or valve, the release of hazardous materials, and the potential for injury if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to carefully plan and execute the depressurization process to minimize these risks.