1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor development I don't understand

1. May 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! In the middle of an exercise, our teacher suddenly wrote:

[tex]
    sin(\frac{x}{y} sin y) = \frac{x}{y} sin y - \frac{1}{2} sin θ (\frac{x}{y} sin y)^2
    [/tex]

I don't get where does that come from? The closest I've managed to reach is:

[tex]
    sin(\frac{x}{y} sin y) = \frac{x}{y} sin y - (\frac{x}{y} sin y)^2 \frac{x sin y}{6y} + O(x^5)
    [/tex]

What is this θ? It doesn't show up neither before nor after that line :/

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When using TeX/LaTeX, please try to remember to use "\sin" instead of "sin", because using "sin" looks ugly and hard to read, like this ##sin x##, while using "\sin" produced pleasing and easy-to-read results like this: ##\sin x##. Same for cos, tan, csc, sec, cot, (plus their inverses), exp, sinh, cosh, tanh, log, ln, lim, max, min---basically, all the standard functions.

Anyway, he/she is using the standard form of remainder in a Taylor series:
    [tex] f(x) = f(a) + (x-a) f'(a) + \int_a^x f''(t) (x-t) \, dt [/tex]
    If ##f''## does not change sign in ##[a,x]## the last term can be expressed as
    [tex] \frac{1}{2!} (x-a)^2 f''(\theta), \; \theta \in [a,x] [/tex]
    using the Mean Value Theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted