1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion - imaginary coefficients?

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the first two non-zero terms in the Taylor expansion of [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}}[/itex] where a is a real constant

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    f(x)=f(x_0)+f^{\prime}(x_0)(x-x_0)+\frac{f^{\prime\prime}(x_0)}{2!}(x-x_0)^2+...+\frac{f^{(n)}(x_0)}{n!}(x-x_0)^n
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If a=0 then f(x)=1 (in the case a=0,x=0, use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit of the ratio as [itex]x[/itex] approaches 0 - is this correct?)

then [tex]
    f(0)=0

f^{\prime}(0)=\frac{-ai}{a}

f^{\prime\prime}(0)=\frac{-i}{2a^{13}}
    [/tex]

Is it OK that there are imaginary terms here? I guess [itex]f(x)[/itex] is imaginary if [itex]a^2>x^2[/itex] anyway?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2
    If you really need to expand it at x=0, then your function is imaginary, so of course you expect to get imaginary coefficients. Usually though in expressions like this, x is limited to values larger than a.

I'm not sure if your coefficients are correct though. Maybe it's easier to expand [itex] g(x)=(x^2-a^2)^{-1/2} [/itex]

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks! I hadn't thought of expanding [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}}[/itex] and then multiplying my [itex]x[/itex] - that's really cool - thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook