1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansions in two variables

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    1. Problem: if f(1,3)=7, use Taylor expansion to describe f(1.2,3.1) and f(.9,2.8) if the partials of f are give by

df/dx=.2
    d^2f/dx^2=.6
    df/dy=.4
    d^2f/dy^2=.9

(you do not need to go beyond the second derivative for this problem)

2. I know from class how to do this if one variable changes. I thought I knew how to do it with 2, but I am getting the wrong answer.

if I wanted to do f(1.2,3) I would do f(1,3)+df/dx*(.2)+d2f/dx2*(.2)^2=7+(.2)*(.2)+(.2)^2/2*(.6).

so I thought if I wanted to do both, I would expand in both variables:

f(1.2,3.1) ~ f(1,3)+df/dx*(.2)+d2f/dx2*(.2)^2+df/dy*(.1)+d2f/dy2*(.1)^2

Why is this coming out to be the wrong answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you are missing some factorials?

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If f(x, y) is a function of the two variables, x and y, then its Taylor series, about x= a, y= b, is
    [tex]f(a,b)+ f_x(a,b)(x- a)+ f_y(a,b)(y- b)+ (f_{xx}(a,b)/2!)(x- a)^2+ (f_{xy}(a,b)/2!)(x- a)(y- b)+ (f_{yy}(a,b)/2!)(y- b)^2+ (f_{xxx}(a,b)/3!)(x- a)^3+ (f_{xxy}(a,b)/3!)(x- a)^2(y- b)+ (f_{xyy}(a,b)/3!)(x-a)(y-b)^2+ (f_{yyy}(a,b)/3!)(y- b)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
    Get the idea?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook