Taylor polynomial approximation- Help

In summary: So is the procedure to take the derivatives and plug in 0 (since c=0) and find an expression for the n+1 derivative?f'(c) = 1 f''(c)=1 f'''(c) =1 ... so the n+1 derivative is 1So Rn= 1/(n+1)! * (.3) ^(n+1)Then I set up an equality to find n so that Rn < .001and n = 3 ?yeswe also want n an integer, so just round upthat is take the first n so that.3^(n+1)/(n+1
bcjochim07
Use Taylor's theorem to determine the degree of the Maclaurin polynomial required for the error in the approximation of the function to be less than .001.

e^.3

I really, really don't know what to do for this one, and I have a quiz tomorrow. I have read through the section in the book, but I am frustrated and can't figure out what kind of method I should use to solve these types of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the remainder?
exp(x)=1+x+x^2/2+x^3/6+x^4/24+...+x^n/n!+R
R is the error and can be written different ways for different situations
ie
R=f^(n+1)(u)/(n+1)!
ie the formula can be made exact by evaluating the final term at x* with 0<=u<=x for some x* in the case of exp we have terms like x^k/k! so the remainder looks like
u^(n+1)/(n+1)!
it is usually hard to find u so we instead chose n so that u des not mater ie
we want n so that
u^(n+1)/(n+1)!<.001
we do not know u but we know (since exp is increasing on [0,.3])
u^(n+1)/(n+1)!<.3^(n+1)/(n+1)!
so that if
.3^(n+1)/(n+1)!<.001
then
u^(n+1)/(n+1)!<.001
so we do not need u, but we may end up with n larger than needed
solve
.3^(n+1)/(n+1)!<.001
for n
then the maclaurin polynomial of degree n has error<.001

So is the procedure to take the derivatives and plug in 0 (since c=0) and find an expression for the n+1 derivative?

f'(c) = 1 f''(c)=1 f'''(c) =1 ...

so the n+1 derivative is 1

So Rn= 1/(n+1)! * (.3) ^(n+1)

Then I set up an equality to find n so that Rn < .001

and n = 3 ?

yes
we also want n an integer, so just round up
that is take the first n so that
.3^(n+1)/(n+1)!<.001

do you see how you might do
say
approximate
1/(1-x)
at x=1.1 to an error less than .005
or aproximate
sin(x) at x=.001 to an error less than .00001

sorry we should have

Do you know the remainder?
exp(x)=1+x+x^2/2+x^3/6+x^4/24+...+x^n/n!+R
R is the error and can be written different ways for different situations
ie
R=f^(n+1)(u)/(n+1)!
ie the formula can be made exact by evaluating the final term at x* with 0<=u<=x for some x* in the case of exp we have terms like x^k/k! so the remainder looks like
e^u/(n+1)!
it is usually hard to find u so we instead chose n so that u des not mater ie
we want n so that
e^u/(n+1)!<.001
we do not know u but we know (since exp is increasing on [0,.3])
u^(n+1)/(n+1)!<e^.3/(n+1)!
so that if
e^.3/(n+1)!<.001
then
e^u/(n+1)!<.001
so we do not need u, but we may end up with n larger than needed
solve
e^u/(n+1)!<.001
for n
then the maclaurin polynomial of degree n has error<.001

What is a Taylor polynomial approximation?

A Taylor polynomial approximation is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by using a polynomial of a certain degree. It is based on the Taylor series, which is an infinite sum of terms representing the derivatives of the function at a given point.

How is a Taylor polynomial approximation calculated?

To calculate a Taylor polynomial approximation, you need to know the value of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. The polynomial is then constructed by taking the derivatives at that point and plugging them into the Taylor series formula. The more terms you include in the polynomial, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What is the purpose of a Taylor polynomial approximation?

The main purpose of a Taylor polynomial approximation is to help us approximate complicated functions that are difficult to evaluate directly. It allows us to estimate the value of a function at a given point or to find an approximate solution to a problem.

What are some practical applications of Taylor polynomial approximation?

Taylor polynomial approximation has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to approximate the behavior of physical systems, to design control systems, and to make predictions in financial markets. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to create smooth curves and surfaces.

What are the limitations of Taylor polynomial approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor polynomial approximation depends on the number of terms included in the polynomial. As the degree of the polynomial increases, the accuracy also increases, but the calculations become more complex. Additionally, Taylor polynomial approximation is only valid for functions that are infinitely differentiable at the point of approximation.