Finding Taylor Polynomial for tan(x) - Wondering

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value for $N$ in order for the $N$-th Taylor polynomial of $\tan(x)$ to have a maximum error of $10^{-5}$ in the interval $[-\frac{1}{10}, \frac{1}{10}]$. One approach is to use the power series expansions of $\sin(x)$ and $\cos(x)$ to find the power series of $\tan(x)$. Another approach is to use the Lagrange form of the remainder to estimate the maximum error, and use the higher order derivatives of $\tan(x)$ to find an upper bound. It is not necessary to find the lowest value of $N$, as long as the maximum error is less than $10
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $f :\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, $f(x) := tan(x)$.

I want to find a $N\in \mathbb{N}$ such that for the $N$-th Taylor polynomial $P_N$ at $0$, that is defined as follows
$P_N(x)=\sum_{n=0}^N\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n$, it holds that
$$\left |f(x)-P_N(x)\right |\leq 10^{-5}, \ \ x\in \left [-\frac{1}{10}, \frac{1}{10}\right ]$$ For that do we have to write $f$ as a power series? But which is the formula? (Wondering)

Or do we have to do something else? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $f :\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, $f(x) := tan(x)$.

I want to find a $N\in \mathbb{N}$ such that for the $N$-th Taylor polynomial $P_N$ at $0$, that is defined as follows
$P_N(x)=\sum_{n=0}^N\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n$, it holds that
$$\left |f(x)-P_N(x)\right |\leq 10^{-5}, \ \ x\in \left [-\frac{1}{10}, \frac{1}{10}\right ]$$ For that do we have to write $f$ as a power series? But which is the formula? (Wondering)

Or do we have to do something else? (Wondering)

Yes write the power series.

Prove It said:
Yes write the power series.

We have that the power series of $\sin (x)$ is $$\sin (x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$$ and the power series of $\cos (x)$ is $$\cos (x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)!}$$

Since $\tan (x)=\frac{\sin (x)}{\cos (x)}$, we get that $$\tan (x)=\frac{\displaystyle{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}}}{\displaystyle{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)!}}}$$

To what is that equal? (Wondering)

How about using the known expansion for $\tan$? (Wondering)

See e.g. here.

I like Serena said:
How about using the know expansion for $\tan$? (Wondering)

See e.g. here.

So, we have that $$\tan (x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n2^{2n+2}(2^{2n+2}-1)B_{2n+2}}{(2n+2)!}x^{2n+1}$$ where $B_n$ is a Bernoulli number.

$P_N$ is the power series of $\tan (x)$ that is stopped at $N$, or not? (Wondering)

Then we have that $$\left |f(x)-P_N(x)\right |=\left |\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n2^{2n+2}(2^{2n+2}-1)B_{2n+2}}{(2n+2)!}x^{2n+1}-\sum_{n=0}^N\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n\right |=\left |\sum_{n=N+1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n2^{2n+2}(2^{2n+2}-1)B_{2n+2}}{(2n+2)!}x^{2n+1}\right |\leq \sum_{n=N+1}^{\infty}\frac{2^{2n+2}(2^{2n+2}-1)B_{2n+2}}{(2n+2)!}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{2n+1}$$

It holds that $$\frac{x}{e^x-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_nx^n}{n!}$$ Could we apply this in this case? But how? Now we have that the starts from $N+1$. (Wondering)

A Taylor series around 0 (aka MacLaurin series) up to degree $N$ has a remainder of:
$$R_N(x) = \frac{f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)}{(N+1)!}x^{N+1}$$
where $0 \le \theta \le 1$.

This is called the Lagrange form of the remainder. See e.g. here.

So:
$$|R_N(x)| \le \frac{\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|}{(N+1)!}|x|^{N+1}$$

And perhaps we can pick the tangent expansion:
$$\tan x = x + \frac 13 x^3 + \frac 2{15} x^5 + \frac {17}{315} x^7 + \frac{62}{2835} x^9 + ...$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
A Taylor series around 0 (aka MacLaurin series) up to degree $N$ has a remainder of:
$$R_N(x) = \frac{f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)}{(N+1)!}x^{N+1}$$
where $0 \le \theta \le 1$.

This is called the Lagrange form of the remainder. See e.g. here.

So:
$$|R_N(x)| \le \frac{\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|}{(N+1)!}|x|^{N+1}$$

And perhaps we can pick the tangent expansion:
$$\tan x = x + \frac 13 x^3 + \frac 2{15} x^5 + \frac {17}{315} x^7 + \frac{62}{2835} x^9 + ...$$
(Thinking)

So, we have that $f-P_N$ is the remainder, right? (Wondering)

$$|R_N(x)| \le \frac{\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|}{(N+1)!}|x|^{N+1}\leq \frac{\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|}{(N+1)!}\left |\frac{1}{10}\right |^{N+1}$$

Do we use the tangent expansion to find the $\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we have that $f-P_N$ is the remainder, right? (Wondering)

$$|R_N(x)| \le \frac{\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|}{(N+1)!}|x|^{N+1}\leq \frac{\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|}{(N+1)!}\left |\frac{1}{10}\right |^{N+1}$$

Do we use the tangent expansion to find the $\max_{0\le\theta\le 1} |f^{(N+1)}(\theta x)|$ ? (Wondering)

Yes.

Formally, we indeed need to find the higher order derivatives of $\tan$ to find that upper bound.
However, we usually make the assumption that the remainder is less than the last term of the series.
So for $N=3$ we would assume that:
$$|R_3(x)| = |f(x) - P_3(x)| \le \frac 13 |x|^3 \le \frac 13 \left(\frac 1{10}\right)^3 < 4 \cdot 10^{-4}$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yes.

Formally, we indeed need to find the higher order derivatives of $\tan$ to find that upper bound.
However, we usually make the assumption that the remainder is less than the last term of the series.
So for $N=3$ we would assume that:
$$|R_3(x)| = |f(x) - P_3(x)| \le \frac 13 |x|^3 \le \frac 13 \left(\frac 1{10}\right)^3 < 4 \cdot 10^{-4}$$
(Thinking)

And which value do we take in this case where we don't know the value of N? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
And which value do we take in this case where we don't know the value of N? (Wondering)

We should try them.

Note that if we ask Wolfram|Alpha, we find that:
$$\max_{-1/10 \le x\le 1/10} \tan^{(4)} x < 2$$
so that:
$$|R_3(x)| < \frac {2}{4!} \left| \frac 1{10}\right|^4 < 10^{-5}$$
(Thinking)

Or alternatively we assume that:
$$|R_5(x)| \le \frac{2}{15} \left|\frac 1{10}\right|^5 < 10^{-5}$$

Do we have to take all the N's till we get a result $>10^{-5}$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do we have to take all the N's till we get a result $>10^{-5}$ ? (Wondering)

Not really. The problem statement does not require us to find the lowest $N$.

So we can pick any $N$ that seems to be sufficiently high and check the remainder.
Actually, we can already predict that to get $R_N(x) < 10^{-5}$ it will suffice to pick $N=5$, since the 5th term has a fraction that is less than $1$. (Nerd)

Alternatively, we can analyze:
$$R_3(x) = \tan x - (x+\frac 13 x^3)$$
It's anti-symmetric and if we take the derivative we can see that it's an increasing function.
So it's maximum absolute value is at $x=\frac 1{10}$.
W|A tells us that:
$$R_3(\frac 1{10}) \approx 1.3 \cdot 10^{-6}$$

I like Serena said:
So we can pick any $N$ that seems to be sufficiently high and check the remainder.
Actually, we can already predict that to get $R_N(x) < 10^{-5}$ it will suffice to pick $N=5$, since the 5th term has a fraction that is less than $1$. (Nerd)

For $N=5$ do we take the part of the tangent expansion of degree $5$ and that will we bigger that the $R_5$ ? (Wondering)

An alternative (and probably easier) method is to remember that in an alternating series, the error in truncating to n terms is never any more than the absolute value of the "n+1"th term.

mathmari said:
For $N=5$ do we take the part of the tangent expansion of degree $5$ and that will we bigger that the $R_5$ ? (Wondering)

Yes. That's true by assumption, which is generally true for 'nice' series like tan.

Prove It said:
An alternative (and probably easier) method is to remember that in an alternating series, the error in truncating to n terms is never any more than the absolute value of the "n+1"th term.

That's not true for just any alternating series, is it? There's an additional condition.
And anyway, the series at hand is not alternating.

I like Serena said:
That's not true for just any alternating series, is it? There's an additional condition.
And anyway, the series at hand is not alternating.

As a matter of fact, it IS true for EVERY alternating series.

But I was mistaken about the series itself, it is not alternating, I forgot that the Bernoulli numbers do not have a pattern to the positives and negatives.

Prove It said:
As a matter of fact, it IS true for EVERY alternating series.

Counter example: 1 - 2 + 10000 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + ...

In particular the remainder is bigger than term 1 or term 2.
I believe we need the additional condition that the terms are absolutely decreasing (which is a sufficient condition to ensure the series converges as well).
It also means we need to prove that for any Taylor expansion we want to apply it to.

I like Serena said:
Not really. The problem statement does not require us to find the lowest $N$.

We cannot find an interval of $N$ such that the inequality holds, can we? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We cannot find an interval of $N$ such that the inequality holds, can we? (Wondering)

To find the lowest value of N for which the inequality holds we need to evaluate $\tan(1/10) - P_N(1/10)$ for $N=0,1,...$ until we find it. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
To find the lowest value of N for which the inequality holds we need to evaluate $\tan(1/10) - P_N(1/10)$ for $N=0,1,...$ until we find it. (Thinking)

Ah ok. (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
we can analyze:
$$R_3(x) = \tan x - (x+\frac 13 x^3)$$
It's anti-symmetric and if we take the derivative we can see that it's an increasing function.

The derivative is $\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)}-1-x^2$. Is this always positive? (Wondering)

One root of $\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)}-1-x^2$ is $x=0$.

This function is symmetric, right? (Wondering)

But can we find it the function is positive or negative? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
One root of $\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)}-1-x^2$ is $x=0$.

This function is symmetric, right? (Wondering)

But can we find it the function is positive or negative? (Wondering)

The function is non-negative for $\frac \pi 2<x<\frac \pi 2$, as we can see here:
\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=2]
\draw[<->] (-1.2,0) -- (1.2,0);
\draw[->] (0,0) -- (0,1.7);
\foreach \i in {-1,-.5,...,1} {\draw (\i,.05) -- (\i,-.05) node[below] {$\i$}; }
\foreach \i in {.5,1,...,1.5} { \draw (.05,\i) -- (-.05,\i) node
{$\i$}; }
\draw[blue, ultra thick, domain=-1:1, variable=\x] plot ({\x}, {(sec(deg(\x))^2) - 1 - (\x)^2});
\end{tikzpicture}

However, it's a bit painful to formally prove it.
We can make a Taylor expansion, which is:
$$\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)}-1-x^2 = \frac 23 x^4 + \frac{17}{45} x^6 + ...$$
It confirms that it's indeed non-negative, although formally this is not a proof. (Doh)​

Ah ok. (Thinking)

Is it maybe better to use the formula for the remainder term $R_N(x)=\frac{f^{(N+1)}(\xi )}{(N+1)!}x^{N+1}$ ? (Wondering) We have that $f^{(4)}=8\frac{ 2\sin (x)+\sin^3 (x)}{\cos^5(x)}$.

So, we have that $$R_3(x)=\frac{f^{(4)}(\xi )}{(4)!}x^{4}=\frac{8\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}}{1\cdot 2\cdot 3\cdot 4}x^4=\frac{1}{3}\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}x^4$$

Therefore $$|f(x)-P_N(x)|=|R_3|=\left |\frac{1}{3}\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}x^4\right |=\frac{1}{3}\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}x^4\right |\leq \frac{1}{3}\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |\cdot \left |x^4\right | \\ \leq \frac{1}{3}\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |\cdot \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^4$$

But how could we bound the absolute value $\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
Counter example: 1 - 2 + 10000 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + ...

In particular the remainder is bigger than term 1 or term 2.
I believe we need the additional condition that the terms are absolutely decreasing (which is a sufficient condition to ensure the series converges as well).
It also means we need to prove that for any Taylor expansion we want to apply it to.

I did mean every convergent alternating series (I thought that was implied)...

mathmari said:
But how could we bound the absolute value $\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |$ ? (Wondering)

For $0<\xi\le\frac 1{10}$ the function $f^{(4)}$ is positive since both $\sin$ and $\cos$ are positive then.
The numerator is largest when $\xi$ is largest, since $\sin$ is an increasing function.
And the denominator is smallest when $\xi$ is largest as well, since $\cos$ is a decreasing function.
So the function has the largest value when $\xi=\frac 1{10}$.

Since the function is anti-symmetric, the function has the same largest value for $\xi=-\frac 1{10}$, just negative.
(Thinking)

Prove It said:
I did mean every convergent alternating series (I thought that was implied)...

Erm... the counter example I gave is a convergent alternating series.

I like Serena said:
For $0<\xi\le\frac 1{10}$ the function $f^{(4)}$ is positive since both $\sin$ and $\cos$ are positive then.
The numerator is largest when $\xi$ is largest, since $\sin$ is an increasing function.
And the denominator is smallest when $\xi$ is largest as well, since $\cos$ is a decreasing function.
So the function has the largest value when $\xi=\frac 1{10}$.

Since the function is anti-symmetric, the function has the same largest value for $\xi=-\frac 1{10}$, just negative.
(Thinking)

So, we have that \begin{equation*}\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |\leq \left |\frac{ 2\sin \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )+\sin^3 \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}{\cos^5\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}\right |\end{equation*} right? (Wondering)

Do we have to use here a calculator, or could we do here something without it? (Wondering)

It holds that $|\sin (x)|\leq x$, right? Do we have a similar inequality for $\frac{1}{\cos (x)}$ ? (Wondering)

How about $\frac{1}{\cos (x)} \le 1 + |x|$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
How about $\frac{1}{\cos (x)} \le 1 + |x|$? (Wondering)

We get this inequality from the Taylor expansion of $\cos (x)$, right? (Wondering) So, we have that \begin{equation*}\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |\leq \left |\frac{ 2\sin \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )+\sin^3 \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}{\cos^5\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}\right |= \left |2\sin \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )+\sin^3 \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )\right |\cdot \left |\frac{1}{\cos^5\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}\right |\leq \left (2 \frac{1}{10}+\frac{1}{10^3}\right )\cdot \left (1+\frac{1}{10}\right )^5\end{equation*}

The last value is not smaller than $10^{-5}$ ( Wolfram ) (Wondering)

So, we have to do something else...

We have that $$|\cos (x)|=\left |\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)!} \right |=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)!}\geq 1$$

Therefore $\frac{1}{|\cos(x)|}\leq 1$.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
We get this inequality from the Taylor expansion of $\cos (x)$, right? (Wondering)

No, the Taylor expansion is $\cos x = 1-\frac 12 x^2 + \frac 1{4!}x^4 - ...$.
It's just that $\cos$ has a horizontal tangent at $x=0$.
We can set a bound with a line that has a non-horizontal tangent.
We can see it in this picture:
\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=2]
\draw[<->] (-1.2,0) -- (1.2,0);
\draw[->] (0,0) -- (0,2.2);
\foreach \i in {-1,-0.5,...,1} {\draw (\i,.05) -- (\i,-.05) node[below] {$\i$}; }
\foreach \i in {0.5,1,...,2} { \draw (.05,\i) -- (-.05,\i) node
{$\i$}; }
\draw[domain=-1:1, variable=\x, red, ultra thick] plot ({\x}, {(cos(deg(\x)))}) node
{$\cos x$};
\draw[domain=-1:1, variable=\x, red, ultra thick] plot ({\x}, {1-abs(\x)}) node[above right] {$1-|x|$};
\draw[domain=-1:1, variable=\x, blue, ultra thick] plot ({\x}, {(sec(deg(\x)))}) node
{$\frac{1}{\cos x}$};
\draw[domain=-1:1, variable=\x, blue, ultra thick] plot ({\x}, {1+abs(\x)}) node
{$1+|x|$};
\end{tikzpicture}

For the record, based on the $\cos$ expansion, we can write $\cos(x) \ge 1-\frac 12 x^2$.

So, we have that \begin{equation*}\left |\frac{ 2\sin (\xi)+\sin^3 (\xi)}{\cos^5(\xi)}\right |\leq \left |\frac{ 2\sin \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )+\sin^3 \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}{\cos^5\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}\right |= \left |2\sin \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )+\sin^3 \left (\frac{1}{10}\right )\right |\cdot \left |\frac{1}{\cos^5\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )}\right |\leq \left (2 \frac{1}{10}+\frac{1}{10^3}\right )\cdot \left (1+\frac{1}{10}\right )^5\end{equation*}

The last value is not smaller than $10^{-5}$ ( Wolfram ) (Wondering)

So, we have to do something else...

The remainder term is actually:
$$R_3(x) = \frac{1}{4!} f^{(4)}\,(\xi) x^4$$
I think we need a couple more factors... (Thinking)
We have that $$|\cos (x)|=\left |\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)!} \right |=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)!}\geq 1$$

Therefore $\frac{1}{|\cos(x)|}\leq 1$.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Not quite. $|\cos x|\le 1$. Therefore $\frac{1}{|\cos(x)|}\ge 1$. (Nerd)​

I like Serena said:
No, the Taylor expansion is $\cos x = 1-\frac 12 x^2 + \frac 1{4!}x^4 - ...$.
It's just that $\cos$ has a horizontal tangent at $x=0$.
We can set a bound with a line that has a non-horizontal tangent.$|\cos x|\le 1$. Therefore $\frac{1}{|\cos(x)|}\ge 1$. (Nerd)
Ah ok... (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
The remainder term is actually:
$$R_3(x) = \frac{1}{4!} f^{(4)}\,(\xi) x^4$$
I think we need a couple more factors... (Thinking)
What do you mean? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
What do you mean? (Wondering)

We've evaluated an upper bound for $f^{(4)}(\xi)$, which is approximately $2.6$.
Btw, I think there's a factor $8$ missing in the expression. (Worried)

But we need an upper bound for $R_3(x) = \frac 1{4!}f^{(4)}(\xi)\left(\frac 1{10}\right)^4 = \frac{1}{24}\cdot 10^{-4}f^{(4)}(\xi) < 4\cdot 10^{-6}\cdot f^{(4)}(\xi)$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We've evaluated an upper bound for $f^{(4)}(\xi)$, which is approximately $2.6$.
Btw, I think there's a factor $8$ missing in the expression. (Worried)

But we need an upper bound for $R_3(x) = \frac 1{4!}f^{(4)}(\xi)\left(\frac 1{10}\right)^4 = \frac{1}{24}\cdot 10^{-4}f^{(4)}(\xi) < 4\cdot 10^{-6}\cdot f^{(4)}(\xi)$. (Thinking)

I see! Thanks a lot! (Mmm)

Related to Finding Taylor Polynomial for tan(x) - Wondering

1. What is a Taylor Polynomial?

A Taylor Polynomial is a mathematical approximation of a function using a finite number of terms. It is used to estimate the value of a function at a given point by using the function's derivatives at that point.

2. How do you find the Taylor Polynomial for a function?

The Taylor Polynomial for a function can be found using the formula: P(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... + f^n(a)(x-a)^n/n!, where a is the point of approximation and n is the degree of the polynomial.

3. What is the purpose of finding the Taylor Polynomial for a function?

The purpose of finding the Taylor Polynomial for a function is to approximate the value of the function at a given point, especially when the function is difficult to evaluate directly. It can also be used to estimate the behavior of a function near a specific point.

4. Can the Taylor Polynomial accurately represent a function?

The Taylor Polynomial can accurately represent a function only within a certain interval around the point of approximation. The accuracy of the polynomial increases as the number of terms used in the polynomial increases.

5. How is the Taylor Polynomial for tan(x) derived?

The Taylor Polynomial for tan(x) is derived by using the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of the Taylor series where the point of approximation is 0. The Maclaurin series for tan(x) is: tan(x) = x + x^3/3 + 2x^5/15 + 17x^7/315 + ..., where the coefficients follow a specific pattern. By substituting x with (x-a) and expanding the series, we can find the Taylor Polynomial for tan(x).