Taylor Series and Maclaurin Series Doubt

In summary, the Taylor series can give the exact value of a function at a specific point, but may only give a good approximation for other values within a certain radius of convergence. The series may also converge to the function for all values of x, or only at the given point. Determining the convergence and accuracy of the series can be done using Taylor's theorem.
sarvesh0303

Homework Statement

If I take a function f(x) and its taylor series, then will the infinite series give me the value of the function at any x value or will it only give proper values for x≈a?

For example, If I take a maclaurin series for a function will it give me proper values for all x values or only if x≈a=0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sarvesh0303 said:

Homework Statement

If I take a function f(x) and its taylor series, then will the infinite series give me the value of the function at any x value or will it only give proper values for x≈a?

For example, If I take a maclaurin series for a function will it give me proper values for all x values or only if x≈a=0?

It always works for x = a. It is possible that is the only value for which it works. But more usually there is a radius of convergence where it works for |x-a|<r and the series diverges for |x-a|>r. Or it may converge and equal the function for all x. Generally, the farther you are from x = a, the more terms you need for a given accuracy. There are examples where the series converges for all x but doesn't equal the function except at x = a.

There exist functions for which the Taylor series exist and converges for all x but converges to the value of the function only at the given point. The function defined as [itex]f(x)= e^{-1/x^2}[/itex] for x not equal to 0, 0 for x= 0, has derivatives of all order and they are all 0 at x= 0 so the Maclaurin series (Taylor series with a= 0) is just 0 for all x. But f is 0 only at x= 0.

(Functions that have the property that they are equal to their Taylor series at every point on a set are called 'anlytic' on that set. Those are especially important in functions of complex numbers.)

So how could we find out whether the sum will give me the approximate value of the function or not?

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function using a sum of terms that involve derivatives of the function evaluated at a specific point. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a given point by using values of the function and its derivatives at a nearby point.

2. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a type of power series that is centered at a specific point, while a Maclaurin series is a type of Taylor series that is centered at the origin (x=0). In other words, a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series.

3. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series can be calculated using the Taylor series formula, which involves finding the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point and plugging them into the formula. Alternatively, a Taylor series can also be calculated using a recursive process known as the Taylor series expansion.

4. What is the purpose of a Taylor series?

The main purpose of a Taylor series is to approximate the value of a function at a given point. It is also used in calculus and other mathematical fields to simplify complicated functions and make them easier to work with.

5. What are some real-world applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they are used to approximate complex physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects, and to model financial data, such as stock prices. They are also used in computer graphics to approximate and render curves and surfaces.