Taylor series homework problem

In summary, the conversation is about the validity of the equation A·e^(v (x)) = cos (x)+ v sin (x) (v is a vector). The speaker clarifies that this is not always true unless v=±i and suggests using the Taylor series to verify this. They also mention that the special properties of i may not apply to other vectors.
Plat00n
Dear friends,
I have a question on a taylor series, that is this one:
A·e^(i (x))
That is:
cos (x)+ i sin (x)
becouse of the taylor's. But, is this wrong?
A·e^(v (x)) = cos (x)+ v sin (x) (v is a vector).
Tks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking that, since eix=cos x + i sin x, does ev x=cos x + v sin x, where v is a complex number? (I don't know what else you could mean by "vector") If so, no, that is not the case unless v=±i, as you can easily verify using taylor expansions. In fact, just plug in v=1 and you'll see that's obviously not true.

plat,

Euler's formula (the one with i in it) is true because of the special properties of i. Generally, your vector will not possesses those same special properties of i.

If you try to compute e^(vx) via the Taylor series, what do you get?

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point.

2. How do you find the Taylor series of a function?

To find the Taylor series of a function, you must first find the function's derivatives at a single point. Then, use the formula for the Taylor series to calculate the coefficients of each term in the series.

3. Why is the Taylor series important?

The Taylor series allows us to approximate a function with a polynomial, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of the function. It is also used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and numerical analysis.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a generalized form of a Maclaurin series, which is a special case where the series is centered at x = 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series with a = 0.

5. How do you use a Taylor series to approximate a function?

To approximate a function using a Taylor series, you can use a finite number of terms in the series to get an approximation of the function's value at a specific point. The more terms you use, the more accurate the approximation will be.